Integra DTR 6.2 Audio Input Confusion

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by WillKTaylor, Jun 27, 2004.

1. WillKTaylor

WillKTaylor Stunt Coordinator

Hello all.

Here's the scenario. Recently, my five disk player croaked due to a "mecha error". I've since purchased another player and instead of going optical (as before), I went coax for digital surround. I did have a problem with this arrangement. The coaxial connection produced no sound what-so-ever - even after changing the receiver's internal audio mode to accept coaxial signals (mine does not auto-detect for digital). So, I did some testing, but for the hell of it, switched out the specifically designated coax cable with a standard RCA analog connection. SOUND!! However, the sound was not as dynamic as I remembered. This also came along with a few other problems. One, I had to crank up the volume to get comparable sound loudness when hooked up to optical. Two, when I turned the volume up slightly more than half way, my receiver kept on going into protective mode and shutting down. What a depressing experience. Needless to say, I've since switched back to optical and plan on returning the digital coaxial cable to ensure this was not the culprit for the lack of sound.

Now, I am getting the sound that I need with the optical, but another issue has arisen. The audio input modes are all screwed up. Previous to the "change is bad" scenario - getting the new player, my audio input modes worked perfectly and as I would believe as intended. I would be able to switch between audio 1 (TV) and audio 2 (DVD) and get audio from the appropriate source. Now, as soon as I turn on my DVD player, this source overrules all else regardless as to whether or not a DVD or CD is even in the tray. I will get the best dynamics when I change to the correctly assigned input for the digital connection (DVD audio 2), but for some reason, I can toggle between all the audio inputs 1 - 4 and will get audio from the DVD source only. The only exception is the radio, which I presume as normal. Then again, I would also presume that (TV audio 1) would also bring in TV audio normally, but it no longer does when the DVD player is powered. Very odd :. Keep in mind, the only audio connection between player and receiver is the optical cable. No analogs are used.

So, I am wondering, is my receiver done, finished, kaput? Is there a way to reset factory settings on a receiver or something else that I am missing to solve this issue. Could it be the player? Although I doubt the latter. The sad part is, I was just planning on an upgrade to power amps and run these with the receiver's preouts, but with this new issue, I may need to reconsider my processing and get a new preamp or receiver before new amps [​IMG]. Anyway, thanks for reading through all of this. Any help is appreciated ...

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

There is a way to reset to factory settings (see your manual), but this may not solve your issues.

The main thing to realize is that the 6.2 has 2 digital and 2 optical connections. Your manual will tell what the default setting for each input is. If you plug in something different from the default you will have to follow the setup procedure to "tell" your 6.2 what is plugged in where.

This is different from the analog L/R connections which are separate for every possible input, so there is no confusion there.

If you have lost your manual you can download one here:

http://www.integrahometheater.com/ow...m?cat=Receiver

3. WillKTaylor

WillKTaylor Stunt Coordinator

Rick, thanks for the hit.

The thing is .. I do follow you. The digital input is assigned correctly for optical. The analogs on the other side don't have any input devices connected except for the TV. Call me simple, but all I running through the receiver are those two sources.

Before I had this upgrade issue, when I scanned through the analog audio input channels, I would get the distinct audio signal from the corresponding source .. in this case, the TV. However, now I'm getting audio signals from a digital source through all of my audio input channels specific to analog sources. I don't get why because aside from the fact that the only change from pre to new was the addition of the coaxial digital connection, otherwise everything else is the same. Oh well. At least it's still working I suppose .. for the time being.

Later ..