What's new

Integra DTC-9.4 & DTA-9.4 - VS - Arcam FMJ AV8 & P7 (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm running five Speakercraft MT8.5 three way, 120 watts in-wall speakers out of my Home Theatre / livingroom and two Speakercraft MT two-ways off the adjoining diningroom. That's 5.1 surround for my HT and 7 channel for music listening throughout both connecting rooms (it's open loft style, so they're seperated by an alcove).

I'm considering The above two pre and power amp seperates, both the Integra DTC-9.4 & DTA-9.4 as well as the Arcam FMJAV8 & FMJP7.

I'd like to get your opinions on what would be better suited to my surround setup...

What do you guys think???

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
As a fan of both brands, I can say that each would give you a great system. I might even consider a best of both worlds scenario and go with the Integra processor and the Arcam amp, as I think those represent each brand's respective strengths. Just my 2 cents.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Paul and Scott... I was hoping it would be a little more clear cut. :)

Scott, why would you say the Arcam is better in terms of sound and build... in which way is it better in both regards?

It certainly looks really slick, but the Integra also seems like a really sturdy well-built unit and looks pretty good itself.

What sound factors make you chose it over the Integra?

I've been speaking with my dealer and he pointed out to me that I seem to be leaning towards the Brittish manufacturers w. all my a/v equipment for some reason which seems to be true. I mentioned to him that I was interested in the Arcam, though he doesnt deal w/ the company, and he suggested I look into the Integras as he feels for whatever reason that I'd be able to get optimal use out of these seperates.

I'd just like a little more info, both for myself in determining which I'd rather go with, and also to be able to relay to my dealer when explaining why I'm leaning in a certain direction...

I don't know if this is even a facotr I should consider cause it seemed like a moot point, but he had also briefly mentioned that he wants to set up my HT as best as possible and since his company is farmiliar and has been dealing w/ the Integras for years, he'd be able to work better with them...

Anyways, please elaborate if you can Scott... I'd really appreciate it!

Scott_N

Second Unit
First I have to say that i've heard both the Integra combo and the Arcam combo but not with the same speakers. I heard the Integra combo with speakers from Paradigm's Studio series and it was very nice. I heard the Arcam combo with speakers from JMLab's Chorus series and it was great. I also heard them with speakers from JMLab's Utopia line and it was simple one of the best systems i've ever heard with HT and music. The Arcam is one of the few pre/pro's that I like with 2-channel music. The Arcam combo seemed more dynamic and more detailed than the Integra and was more resolving in HT and music. I put the Arcam combo on the same level as Theta, Lexicon, Sim Audio and Meridian which are the best i've heard in HT. The Integra combo is a nice value but simply isn't at that level imo. Another brand I like in the Integra's price range is Anthem. The Arcam combo costs about twice as much as the Integra combo so that might play into your decision.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks so much Scott.

I had read reviews that the Integras didn't sound all that great in 2-channel stereo mode and also have read some negative comments about the remote and various other details which had me leaning towards the Arcam.

The Arcams sell for approx. 5-6k per processor / amp I think..?

If so, I'll start putting savings away now.

Thanks again Scott!

Scott_N

Second Unit
The AV8 retails for $5000 and the P7 retails for $4,500. I don't think the DTC-9.4 can be upgraded which is a minus. I'm just not that big a fan of digital amps like the DTA-9.4 except for Bel Canto's digital tripath amps. Good luck with your system!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks