Integra 6.5

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_F, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

For those of you that may have read any of my threads, you will notice that my mind seems to keep changing after listening to different receivers. When I started out, I was going to get the the Denon 2805, then I moved up to the 3805. Once I listened to the Marantz I was sold on the 7500, but I have changed my mind again. :b

I was just able to do a side by side comparison between the Marantz 5500 and the Integra 6.5 (same chip is the 5500 and the 7500), and after doing the side by side, for HT (which I will do 90% of the time) the Integra sounded better. The sound of the Marantz sounded like there was a 'sheet' over it while the Integra sounded more alive.

Can I hear anyone's impression that currently owns an Integra 6.5? Also, what did you compare it to before you bought it?

2. Kevin_F

No one has any experience with this receiver? Come on guys....

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I have a 6.4 and other than the fact mine is 6.1 instead of 7.1 (which means I don't have DPLIIx), I believe the chipsets and amps are largely the same (if not outright identical). I find my receiver very pleasing with both music and movies (and I'm a music first kind of guy--70/30 split).

Of the receivers I auditioned (Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Integra, Arcam) it was the second best audio for music and best for movies. I originally chose the best one for music (Arcam) but got two faulty units in a row and went for the Integra. Overall, I'm very happy and my Integra has some features the Arcam lacked that, having lived with them, I'm not sure I'd give up if offered a trouble-free Arcam straight up in trade. The Arcam's edge for music wasn't that big.

Hope this helps.

4. Kevin_F

Thank you Paul, do you believe that the power rating is accurate?

I am a 90% movies guy myself, which is why I am leaning for these more than the Marantz

5. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I have no equipment to test the "actual" power rating vs. the "quoted" rating. To be honest, I didn't think about it all that much as my room is not all that large, my speakers are reasonably sensitive (89-92 dB rated, at 8 ohms) and I don't listen at ear-splittingly loud volume levels. I might buy an outboard amp in future, if I decide to explore 4 ohm load speakers (not recommended with my receiver), but other than that, I'm quite happy with my receiver's performance. I've never felt it was straining at any volume I'd ever listen at.

FWIW, I calibrated the receiver, using its test tones, to 75 dB at reference 0 dB (as per the instruction manual) and rarely go above -20 dB for listening to music or movies.

6. Kevin_F

Thanks Paul, my room is rather large (full basement) and I plan to listen to my movies well over -20db, but I liked what I heard when I was listening to the reciever and I will find out how it handles my space when I get it. [​IMG]

7. Kevin_F

I was just looking at the back of both the Marantz 7500 and the Integra 6.5 and found something that put a bigger smile on my face. The Intrgra gives you the ability do have a full 7.1 setup AND speakers in a separate zone. This means I can set up a full 7.1 system in my basement and set up 2 additional speakers, with a second amp, in my garage or on my back porch.

I prefer this because I am more likely to use this set up than to do a/b switching.

8. Kevin_F