What's new

Integra 5.2 differences over Onkyo 595 (1 Viewer)

Myles

Agent
Well, I just received my Integra 5.2 (replacing my old Sony Prologic 1090) and have it set up. It sounds great and many things I like. Some things I miss from the old Sony:
The cool level display that actually showed the level going into each speaker in a sound field.
The ability to input labels for things (IE change video 1 to "VCR" and Video 2 to "Satellite"..label each radio station etc)
The bass extension button for low volume bass increase.
All the DSP adjustments I could make....wall hardness, room size etc (you could make things sound awful) didn't use this much though.
What I like about the Integra:
Better sound production!!
All the new options DD, DTS Pro2 etc.
The volume control....the sony went from quiet to super loud...the 5.2 goes nice and slow.
Did I mention Way better sound!!!??
Now...I almost bought a Onkyo 595 but got the 5.2 for the same price...but had to wait a little.
The 5.2 has the following the 595 lacks:
Silver finished BACKLIT remote ...like it! (595 not backlit)
detatchable power cord....good I guess...easier to set it in place.
gold connectors...I guess their better.
silver knobs.
a RS232 port...?? for control? Not sure what to do with that....control via a computer?
I/R input and output....for other Onkyo/integra devices....I guess if your remote wouldn't reach something.
A 12volt trigger??
Have I missed anything? Different internal components?
Anyhow, I think waiting for the 5.2 was worth it over the 595.
Now if I could just stop switching between modes!
Any other Integra owners?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Myles, I own no Onkyo or Integra products, but one advantage of the Integra line is the three-year warranty. Onkyo products only come with a one-year warranty, as far as I know (certainly less than three years). My local high-end dealer sells Integra, but not Onkyo. I was just in the store the other day, and the salesman said the difference between the Integra DV-9.1 and Onkyo DV-S939 progressive-scan DVD-Audio players is night and day. They look similar and have similar features, but the salesman said the Integra unit has much better parts and construction under the hood, in addition to the three-year warranty and detachable power cord.
By the way, the better Onkyo receivers such as the TX-DS797, 'DS898, and 'DS989 have gold-plated RCA inputs.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks