What's new

Insuring equipment. (1 Viewer)

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
ok, with all the research and we do. all the reviews we read before plunking down our hard earned cash. (not to mention the spousel earful we tend to get) tye seem to be louder than than reference level sometimes. (lol) but seriously does any one have theie equipment insured. i know most homeowner& renters insurance policies cover replacement products. but do we have to take pictures and serial numbers along iwth reciets? to give insurance companies. i wonder how many of us actuallt insure our stuff??????? frank

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Yes in most cases a serial number with proof of ownership is asked for.
Every few months take a camcorder and walk around your house videotaping. This will help prove you had the items and also helps jog your memory if you have a total loss.
Store this tape off the property.
I personally have an extra rider on my homeowners policy that helps on the coverage, My policy is for 100% replacement.
When filming be sure to open all closets, drawers & so-on.
Don't forget to film the media collections you may have, CD's DVDs so-on

Drew_W

Screenwriter
There was a long thread on this a while back. Run a search, it should turn up.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Frank, I edited your thread title. By being more specific in the title you stand a better chance of getting more responses (our pop-up previews aren't a guarantee people will look at a thread). Just titling the thread "equipment" could mean anything.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
My brother went one step farther. He mailed a copy of receipts, pictures and serial numbers to his agent! Yes, he's a wacko! But he sleeps a little better than I do. Gene

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I was a property claims adjuster for one of the biggest insurance companies in the US and we rarely ask for photos or serial numbers of HT equipment. If you live in a dump and submitted a claim for Krell mono-block power amps, yes, we will be suspicious and ask for copies of receipts or any other records you have. But as long as it's believable that you own such type of equipment, we will generally give you the benefit of the doubt.

Sathyan

Second Unit
This may only be relevant for small policies but my renter's insurance ($15K) puts a cap on LP/CD/Tape/DVD/etc. of $1000 and did on electronics of $2000 (I added a rider for that). Ask your agent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks