Insuring equipment.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Frank joe, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

ok, with all the research and we do. all the reviews we read before plunking down our hard earned cash. (not to mention the spousel earful we tend to get) tye seem to be louder than than reference level sometimes. (lol) but seriously does any one have theie equipment insured. i know most homeowner& renters insurance policies cover replacement products. but do we have to take pictures and serial numbers along iwth reciets? to give insurance companies. i wonder how many of us actuallt insure our stuff??????? frank

2. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Yes in most cases a serial number with proof of ownership is asked for.
    Every few months take a camcorder and walk around your house videotaping. This will help prove you had the items and also helps jog your memory if you have a total loss.
    Store this tape off the property.
    I personally have an extra rider on my homeowners policy that helps on the coverage, My policy is for 100% replacement.
    When filming be sure to open all closets, drawers & so-on.
    Don't forget to film the media collections you may have, CD's DVDs so-on

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

There was a long thread on this a while back. Run a search, it should turn up.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Frank, I edited your thread title. By being more specific in the title you stand a better chance of getting more responses (our pop-up previews aren't a guarantee people will look at a thread). Just titling the thread "equipment" could mean anything.

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    My brother went one step farther. He mailed a copy of receipts, pictures and serial numbers to his agent! Yes, he's a wacko! But he sleeps a little better than I do. Gene

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I was a property claims adjuster for one of the biggest insurance companies in the US and we rarely ask for photos or serial numbers of HT equipment. If you live in a dump and submitted a claim for Krell mono-block power amps, yes, we will be suspicious and ask for copies of receipts or any other records you have. But as long as it's believable that you own such type of equipment, we will generally give you the benefit of the doubt.

7. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

This may only be relevant for small policies but my renter's insurance ($15K) puts a cap on LP/CD/Tape/DVD/etc. of $1000 and did on electronics of $2000 (I added a rider for that). Ask your agent.