What's new

Insulationin the basement ceiling in theater room (1 Viewer)

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
Should I put insulation in the ceiling or should I leave it out? I only have the ceiling left to go along with my PVC for the video cables and my projector mount.

Thnx
Mike

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
If you've got access to the floor joists I would put 2 layers of either R-19 or R-25 between the joists.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
If living space above, definitely insulate. I used double the fiberglass insulation that would normally go in the space. Hardly a sound can be heard in my room above.

David

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
thnx guys Ill fill it up. Also is it a good idea to do that threw out the basement? or just more so for the theater room to keep the noise down?

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
I put 2 layers of R-13 in my ceiling joists over the HT. Haven't finished the rest of the basement yet, but don't anticipate putting any in.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
From a heating/cooling standpoint, it's a good idea to put a layer throughout the basement and double it over the HT.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
I put the drywall up on my cieling about a week ago, I put R-19 between the joists and used Sound Resilient hat channel over the joists, and after doing some tests, I wish I had put a double layer of R-19 up, alot of sound is still blocked but I had hoped for better results, but there is no way im taking that drywall back off the ceiling, I put all those sheets up by myself once and that was enough, WOW! I really need to update the pics on my site

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i agree with those that say put in the insulation.

btw travis your dlp link doesnt work.

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I would have put two layers as well. It would have helped a little more. I put some in the walls as well, because the rest of the basement is unfinished. I find it helps.

I just wished the morons that built my house would have use the code this way I wouldn't have to cut every piece of insulation before installing it... stupid 10.5" to 11 3/4 " spacing.... aaaargh! Would have made things much quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks