What's new

Insulation help (1 Viewer)

Dan_Sch

Auditioning
We recently purchased a house where my wife and I can finally have a dedicated HT room. The problem is its now the garage. Last night I was checking on insulation in the exterior wall and found that I will be tearing off the paneling to install insulation, not that big of deal, however the attic above the garage is covered with 1x8's for flooring. Finally to my question, How do I insulate the attic? I'm assuming the truss supports under the flooring are 2X6 or 2x8. The interior of the garage ceiling is finished textured drywall. Budget is a concern, I'm looking for the best/least expensive way of insulating my ceiling. The area I'm working with is about 20X22. The flooring appears to be nailed down extremely well. I will be doing the work myself. Are there any alternatives to cutting up the flooring. Thanks for any advice offered.
------------------

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Well.....there's really not a good way to tell if there are any partitions that are blocking off the areas between the truss bottoms, but since you'll have to have the insulation blown in anyhow, you may be able to remove a small section of the attic flooring at each end of the room (longways) all the way across the room and just have them blow the insulation in from there.
Those blowers are pretty powerful and should be able to push the material pretty far under the flooring, and by going from each side, hopefully it will meet in the middle.
You probably won't get even coverage all the way around, but I'd think it beats the alternative of pulling up all of the decking up there.
I'd have someone from an insulation company come out and give an estimate and advise on the best way to proceed. Even if you plan to do it yourself, if you let them give you an estimate for the work as well, they probably won't charge you anything (check up front).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks