What's new

Insulating wall in between hometheatre and laundry/storage room (1 Viewer)

IanB

Auditioning
I was planning on insulating the wall in between my home theatre room and the laundry room. One side of the drywall(facing the home theatre room) is already done, what sort of insulation should I get/buy. Someone told me the foam sheets are better than the big insulation battens. I have drilled holes through the 2x4's and have run the wire through, should I actually run conduit and then put the wires inside or is that overkill.

Thanks,

Ian

Terry Montlick

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ian,

I assume your purpose in insulating the walls is to keep the laundry room sound isolated from the home theater (or vice-versa). Ordinary fiberglass batting works just fine for this. Additional sound blocking is gotten by adding extra layers of drywall and/or fiberboard, and decoupling the drywall from the studs with resilient channel.

Of course, how much you want to bother depends on how severe your noise problem is. Low frequencies are the nastiest to block.

Regards,
Terry

Shane KP

Auditioning
I would advise that you definetly run conduit for your cabling to go through as I did this when we constructed our home theatre and have had to do serveral changes with video cabling upgrades. Our walls are fully insulated with sound proof batts and they seem to work perfectly fine. I know for a fact if I did not have the conduit and tried to re-run the cables through cavities and holes, I would not have stood a chance in the battle of defeating snages, I would have lost.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks