Instead of projector mount, how about a shelf

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ScottATL, Nov 28, 2004.

1. ScottATL

ScottATL Stunt Coordinator

I've heard that some projectors are somewhat noisy and was thinking instead of putting in a mount, what do you think of building a shelf that hangs from the ceiling, more like a box. this would contain the noise or at least keep it coming only from the front.

Of course, a box may look a little out of place, but it would sort of hide the projector giving more of a clean look. At work, we have a drop down motorized shelf which is nice, but that is a little beyond what I need.

I'm thinking it would be just as easy to fix for removal if I sold my house, as long as I planned it ahead of time. What do you think?

2. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Sounds like a winner to me, in fact I think I recall a few people over on the AVS forum doing this, kills two birds with one stone...[​IMG]

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I've got a mutant variation on that theme.. a couple of angle-brackets off of my media storage shelf support the back, and some bolts into a ceiling joist (through the drop ceiling) support the front edge.

Old, obsolete pictures from my crude website.

Leo Kerr

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Yeah, some have done that but they always have made it a priority to have some ventilation. If ur pj can't breathe well, it just "dies" earlier...the lamp that is.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I assume your pj is front ventilated?

6. ScottATL

ScottATL Stunt Coordinator

I don't have a projector yet, but I do have a box of fans that I can direct airflow with if needed. I was thinking that if I do a shelf to raise it off of the wood about an inch with a metal screen and put a small fan blowing from the top and back to push the air down the back and through the bottom vent path.

If nothing else, I think I'm going to put an open shelf similar to leo's, I like the shelf, looking up at a nice platform rather then the bottom of the pj