Instead of a WHOLE nore system - how about this

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Brian Elwood, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

I have Infinity Entra Ones as my LR and Center speakers anda OLD Yamaha Sub with Infinity Bookshelf speakers as my surround.

What about buying a new/better sub and getting new surrounds. Whould that give me the sound I'm looking for?

I wonder if it's only the lack of a GOOD sub and real surrounds that are holding my pleasure back.

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Brian:

I just went back and read your recent posts, and from what I can tell just chaning the surrounds and adding a sub isn't going to satisfy you. You seem to have been first inspired by your dad's Bose system that you felt sounded superior to yours. With that said, unless something has changed financially or, uh, domestically, then don't give up, bro!

I know it's very confusing with all the options, and to confound that you have all of us in here giving you opinion after opinion after opinion.

I think you are probably like me, in that you prefer to do all sorts of research and know what's out there (and what people think of it) BEFORE you actually head out to listen/buy. I do that cause I know I can't listen to everything, so I want a focused plan when I actually take the time to go and demo.

Anyway, with that said, don't give up, man. This is supposed to be fun in addition to being confusing! [​IMG] So stay the course, keep a short list of brands and products, and just be patient.

Two final things: 1) Remember that there is probably not going to be just ONE system that makes you happy. There is a lot of good stuff out there. And 2), I advised you in another post to consider purchasing where there is an upgrade/trade-in/return policy. I did that partly because most of us eventually upgrade our equipment, and also because it takes some of the pressure off you when you do pull the trigger.

Another site that I know at least one person recommended was audioreview.com I love that site and it may be able to help you narrow things down a little. Also, ecoustics.com keeps a database of professional reviews on various products. Give that a try, too [​IMG]

3. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

In your case, you probably want to stick with the Entra One speakers, and get an SVS PCi 16-46, which is 46" tall, 320 watts, and is +/-3dB from 16 Hz to 100 Hz. That's $650. The Infinity Entra series is still quite serviceable as home theater speakers are concerned. With your older thread, I thought you didn't have any HT gear and were just starting to buy stuff for a first HT. As far as surround speakers go, with Infinity bookshelf speakers for the rear surrounds you are probably more than OK. If you still feel your surround experience is lacking, the Infinity Alpha 25ES should do well for you. It's a bipole/dipole/monopole speaker that is $300 each from Crutchfield.com. The sub is the weakest link in your system at this point, and the SVS should be able to cure that ill.

4. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hello, your question is vey open ended. What sound are you looking for? What is your budget? What do you feel you lack in your sound now?

Regards

Tom

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

What do you find lacking presently? Remember that around 80% of a sound track is on the center channel.

6. Rory Buszka

Oh, and another thing: If you're mad at your Infinity system because it's not Bose, consider the fact that your system has better overall design, better integration with subwoofers, flatter frequency response, better transient response, better treble detail, better midrange quality, better performance through the lower midrange, and if you get the SVS sub, much more bass, that extends about 30 Hz deeper (the Bose modules only extend down to 40-45 Hz). One reviewer, reviewing the Bose Acoustimass cubes and sub said "Ouch! I'd pay NOT to hear that!" when he put on a rap track to test the bass performance of the Acoustimass. Bose is heavily marketed and relatively simple to operate, and it has smaller overall size but its performance just does not measure up. That $1000 CSW system I was talking about earlier would be GREATLY preferable to the Bose, and positively take it to school when it comes to just about every objective and/or subjective criteria of review. If my wife told me to get a Bose system, I'd happily say "How about this instead?" and get the CSW setup. But you already have Infinity speakers, which are even more highly thought of than the Cambridge Soundworks.

7. Brian Elwood

Yup - the sub was the weak link!!

Well - went to Specialized Sound today. VERY hi end stuff (whole rooms full of B&W speakers).

A real eye opener. The guy (VERY VERY INTO audio - wife said sort of creepy LOL). had all sorts of opinions.

1. DO not get dipole surrounds unless you can place them PERFECTLY - 90% of the dipole surround he see's are wasted money because they are placed wrong.

Infinity Entras are very good of LRC and the yare not the problem. The problem was the sub and a little of the surrounds. I current sub is very old (all speaker canbles go to it and THEN out)

What kind of sub did he suggest? He would not tell me until I brought in my owners manual of my reciever. He wanted to match the sub exactly with the reciever - THEN suggest the right surrounds.

About $500 for the perfect sub for my reciever and 300 for the surrounds and I would be in heavan AND after a month I coold bring the whole thing back and start over if I wanted too.

He also said many many people buy the wrong sub for their room so I had to scatch out the room also. LOL

SO - Tuesday Ill go back (Packers are Monday night :)

8. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Knowing someone has $500 to spend on a sub, it's physically painful for me to watch them not at least TRY the SVS.....The 25-31 PCi is a "Specialized Sound" KILLER man. [​IMG]

9. Brian Elwood

Don't worry - I'm not locked into ANYTHING yet.

I've just decided that the Entras are good enough for RL Center so why not spend the SAME amount on a Sub and Surrounds.

Are SVS internet Subs or can they be found in stores "specialized" stores. I'm getting away from any type of chains and going with somepne that ONLY sells audio and not XBox's also.

10. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Brian:

There are few companies I would say this about, but I am 100% sold on SVS. If you can allocate $500 to a sub, I cannot imagine you would find anything anywhere NEAR as satisfying as the SVS 25-31PCi (http://svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_25-31.htm). That was the first SVS sub I owned, and it was truly a remarkable experience that was FELT in addition to heard. It kicked the living crap out of the PDR-10 I had.

I totally understand your apprehension about buying an audio product sight unseen and w/out a demo, but this is as close to a no-brainer as you're going to find - especially when it comes to anything you may be looking at at the audio store you went to today.

You can go to the SVS page I listed above and figure out your shipping cost for the sub. That way you can pick one up, give it a run in your home, and know you can ship it back if you decide not to keep it. The shipping is very reasonable for their cylinder subs; it was like $20 for me when I had mine shipped to Atlanta.

Anyway, that's just my $.02.....when it comes to speakers, there are a ton of good choices. When it comes to subs, I've found SVS to be in a league all their own.

PS. You know, the other thing you'll find about SVS is a whole lot of stories about how Tom and/or Ron went out of their way to make sure you were a satisfied customer. I tell you what, they went out of their way last year to help me with something, and to say it made an impression on me would be a huge understatement. I don't know them on a personal level, but it's pretty clear that those two are really good guys.

11. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

If you still want new surrounds, maybe consider moving your entra ones to the back as surrounds and maybe get the floor standing entra threes ($300/pair at audioadvisor and at harmonaudio) as fronts to match the timbre.

12. Rory Buszka

Here's why you can order a sub online, sound unheard, based on reputation, and get a great product: Subwoofers are different from speakers in that there is a more definite set of criteria for what exactly makes a "good" subwoofer: plenty of power, bass extension, transient definition ("tightness"), and maximum SPL output. Speakers on the other hand have their own tonal balance ("bright" or "warm", and their own frequency response anomalies, and various other things like posture ("forward" or "reserved"). In addition, differences in transient response are much more noticeable in speakers than in subwoofers. There's also "imaging" - the ability to reproduce spatial cues in the music signal in such a way that you can close your eyes and almost picture the band set up on a stage. Those things are all very subjective, and you may have a very definite taste in speakers as a result of all those different characteristics that appear in different combinations in speakers. In subwoofers, on the other hand, things like tonal balance and posturing are not only far less noticeable, they're nearly nonexistent. Good bass is easy to define, and SVS delivers on it. As for room size, it's important not to buy a sub that is too small. SVS subs are certainly NOT small. Email Tom and/or Ron and ask them to tell you exactly why you should buy an SVS subwoofer as opposed to the B&W sub that the guy from Specialized Sound most likely tried to sell you.

13. Brian Elwood

WHY STOP THERE!!!!

OK - lets say you have talked me into the 25-31 PCi. I just read ONE review that mention that it was GREAT for music but,

SO - with that said for $50 more I can get 29-39 PCi[​IMG]

To much for the average living room?

Worth $50?

14. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

The 20-39 does not play louder. In fact, it won't play as loud as a 25-31. What you are getting for the extra 50 bucks is extension- the ability to reproduce deeper notes. But the 25-31 is hardly cripled in this regard.

15. Brian Elwood

I'm not to worried about LOUD - I rarly go loud anyway.