What's new

Installing the Subwoofer to my Harman Kardon AV Receiver (1 Viewer)

Todd Hansson

Auditioning
I recently purchased a Velodyne subwoofer CT-100. Installing the Subwoofer to my Harman Kardon AV Receiver (AVR2000, Australian Model, Similar U.S. Model may be AVR210) was quite uneventful. RCA cable from the Subwoofer output on the back of the AVR to the line-level input on the CT-100. What I have found to become more eventfully than I expected was the 'setup'.

Since the manual is a little light on Specs I'm hoping someone will be able to assist by giving me advice on the 'correct' setup of both my AVR and Subwoofer.

Firstly, I've been suggested a number of different ways and its all becoming a little confusing, (Thank god for this forum) especially after my wife and I were watching the latest DVD by Madonna in DTS when the signal dropped away causing the 'Auto Turn on function' turn red. For that set up the HK AVR 2000 speakers were set to 'Large', with L/R + LFE 'On'. The Sub Crossover was also 'on'. I found it all a little strange. (Is there a difference between a 'Movie' in DTS and a 'Live' concert in DTS?)

My current setup is as follows:

Velodyne Subwoofer

a. Line-level input (Currently using cheap Y-cable)

b. Subwoofer Direct.

c. Phase Adjustment set to 0.

d. Volume set at 4

e. Freq. 80hz

f. Auto Power on

HK AVR 2000

a. Subwoofer output.

b. Main + Effect Speakers Set to 'Small' (No Choice between LFE and L/R+LFE.)

c. Subwoofer Level set at 0db

Thank you in advance.

Todd

Todd Hansson

Auditioning
I have been recieving help from other forum members. I'm always interested to get other people's feedback. I still regard myself as an novice, so please contribute if you like.

The main issue now is understanding the setup on the reciever side of things. I'm not quite sure about changing the cross-over options on the Reciever. Does my receiver AVR2000 (Australian model) have these options? If so, I cant find it within the manual. The low-frequency (Hz) is still a bit confusing, when setting it up between the main speakers and subwoofer.

Many Thanks_Todd

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I just know that my crossover is fixed at 100 hz, model AVR110.

The HK guys got back to me within a week or so, try them if you have questions, they'll help.

The manual is a bit sparse.

Enjoy!

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Velodyne VA810X subwoofer connected to my HT system.The dealer advise that the sub's crossover should be turn off so that the A/V receiver's internal crossover will

take over the job. If both crossovers are use it may

result in low output and increased noise.

The setup in your sub is correct but the HK A/V setup

should be all speakers set to 'Large'and the sub adjustment

be set to the db level in conjunction to the speakers.

For example, my own setup is that all my speakers,centre

& suurounds are set to 'Large'and the sub's output level

is the same as my main & centre speakers output level.

They are all set at +8db. You mentioned that your sub's crossover was turn on perhaps you should turn it off and

see what happens.Just my 2 cents worth. Hope this helps.

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
Velodyne Subwoofer

a. Line-level input (Currently using cheap Y-cable)

b. Subwoofer Direct.

c. Phase Adjustment set to 0.

d. Volume set at 4

e. Freq. 80hz

f. Auto Power on

HK AVR 2000

a. Subwoofer output.

b. Main + Effect Speakers Set to 'Small' (No Choice between LFE and L/R+LFE.)

c. Subwoofer Level set at 0db

Todd (now I remember who you are... sorry):

a. this works

b. this disables the internal crossover on the sub (see longer explanation below).

c. This is for later.

d. change any time you want.

e. all sound below 80 Hz is "accepted" by sub and played through its speaker, REGARDLESS of what you do on the H-K side.

f. auto power can be played with later.

H-K side:

a. goes with the way you went into the sub. There are other ways.

b. The ONLY speaker size selection that matters is if you want the fronts to handle the lower freqs. (shared with sub) they usually have to be set to Large. Other speaker size and setting does not affect sub controls.

c. Level can be set later, any time. 0 is a good place to start.

The only thing I've heard, and I've tried it, and I'm very happy with the result is: with my H-K sending all sound BELOW 60 to the sub, and with the sub processing all freqs. below 80, the 60-80 Hz sounds are in transition on both sides (or,they say, an even broader range), and that this makes for a smooth transition.

I bought Hell Freezes Over yesterday, played it at these settings, and all the bass guitar, bass drums, tom-toms, etc., sounded very much like I was at the concert. So, to me, this works. I also am using the sub out from the H-K.

I haven't yet played with the other two ways of doing it: pre-amp > sub > amp > speakers and...

H-K front speaker out to sub > speakers.

Can't be bothered with all that yet. I still don't know which sub and which receiver I'll keep for good.

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks