What's new

Installing the ceiling mount for an AE-700U (HELP) (1 Viewer)

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
Is there an optimal distance for this projector? I have a 22 foot long room, I would like the biggest screen I can get without losing quality (have a whole wall). Im looking for 120+. Can anyone help me out here? Im running cable PVC this weekend and I want to have my mount location pinpointed. I looked at the calculator but I am not sure how it works when you have to factor in the zoom??????

Thnx
Mike

John S

Senior HTF Member
Going out on a limb here, as I have not installed on of these yet. I'd put it half way back, and then live with the screen size you get from it.

From the specs it should be in the relhm your looking for.

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
You should be able to find your answers here

By my calculations the max screen would be 125" 16X9 - this is with the lens at 21' (shelf on the back wall) and 1.2zoom and 1.0 gain screen. If you increase the screen gain (to 2.7 - which frankly is a little absurd) you could go up to 206" Keep in mind that your screen can be too big. I would recommend doing some additional research on screen size before you go nuts on getting the biggest screen possible.

As an example. My room is 15'6" by 23' and my screen is 106" 16X9.

My first row is ~12 feet back from the screen. This gives me a horizontal subtended viewing angle of 35.43 degrees (optimal is somewhere around but over 30 degrees). My vertical subtended viewing angle is 21.24 degrees (optimal is somewhere around but over 15 degrees). These are both a little high because I also considered my second row.

My second row is 17' back which translates into a 25.41 hortzontal and 15.08 vertical.

With 120" 16X9 Screen your first row distance whould need to be ~16.25' (for 30 degree Hort and 17 degree Vert) - not much room for a second row.

I built a spreadsheet based off some formulas in Home Theater Magazine (I think that was the magazine)

Anyway, I would recommend a 106" screen which would give you a mounting distance of 10.7' (1X Zoom) to 21.4' (2X Zoom) with a 1.0 gain screen.

Good luck

John S

Senior HTF Member
My line of thought on it as well....

"Anyway, I would recommend a 106" screen which would give you a mounting distance of 10.7' (1X Zoom) to 21.4' (2X Zoom) with a 1.0 gain screen."

Bryce_H gave a much better answer though... :)

PaulDF

Second Unit
So, in other words, mounting distance is somewhat flexible with this pj since it has 2X zoom capability?

I thought I had read that using some zoom might actually increase PQ beacause of the cone effect, or lack of. (Hope I don't start any false rumours here if I'm wrong...)

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
So if I mount it between 20 and 21 feet back I will be safe no matter what? My first row is a ruff 14-15 feet back and second about 18 ish ( I can go measure and update later but thats close). I wonder if I am at 20+ back what would be the smallest diag size of the screen and what would be the biggest? Im running PVC right now which I have to cut in 1 foot pieces and connect with couplers since I have to run it threw every 2X12 in the floor ( yuck)..... Any way thank you guys for helping me with this I am learning a lot but I still need some direction from you guys.

OH, what the heck is screen gain?

:)

John S

Senior HTF Member
The closer the better, as far as PQ / Brightness goes. But, pretty much flexibility with that one from the specs anyways.

I usually suggest the closest it can possibly be and get the screen size that is desired.

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
So is 20 feet to far back? This is a good distance for me since it will not really be over anyones head. Please let me know as I am drilling holes tonight.

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
PVC is in and done, I just ran it the full distance so if I go with what I have it will be about 19-20 feet from the lens and thats pretty good I think, however I can change it up if I need to as long as I try to do it before I drywall the ceiling (this weekend or Monday).

Please don't hesitate to offer advice or thoughts??? Ill post pics tomorrow night after work of what I have done so far...

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks