Installing system - running wiring - need input please

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by GreggOzz, Feb 2, 2005.

1. GreggOzz

GreggOzz Auditioning

Hi all,

I am in the process of installing my HT (well, sorta for what room I have) and would like the input of those around me. We are installing our system away from the TV, and am in the process over the next few weeks of installing all the wires from point A to B (and C). I have the speakers, sub, TV all ran so far, and installing the component wiring this weekend. I was wondering what you would run from the media area to the TV area. We plan on putting in Cat5 for our infrared remote to control everything. All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gregg

2. John S

John S Producer

Dang, I had held back on this. Thinking for sure you would get lots of posted suggestions....

Mine is simple, everything and maybe even multiples, I mean I would fill at least every available input on the display back to where ever your sources are, and of course lots of extra cable and/or inter-connects / ect..ect..

I mean, my fear is that my theater would change over time from a source perspective, so you would want to cover nearly every currently available base on it.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

agreed with john.

what kind of tv do you have? do you have all current connection types? including dvi, hdmi, firewire & optical? those are all newer types of connections that you will find on tv's. of course, you'll want to run normal cables, like s-video, component, etc.

also run speaker wire since you probably will have a center channel speaker somewhere by the tv.

something to consider is how you plan on wiring up your gear. if you run all your audio and video signals through the receiver, you probably won't need 3/4 of those cables. but it's better to have there there and not need them ... then the other way around.

4. GreggOzz

GreggOzz Auditioning

Thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback.

Ted - I do not have my TV yet - waiting til my room is done. Been looking at a Sony 44" (13" deep) flat screen. I will need to save up some money for a little while (single income family). I agree that I need to run cables, but I really haven't been up to date on what there is out there. What is dvi, dvi, hdmi, etc.... I plan on running all my signals through the receiver - in the seperate room, to alleviate most of the cables to the TV - as you stated.

So, what type of cables would you run for the TV (from the media source) - I really don't know much about the different cables - been a while.

Thanks again,

Gregg

5. John S

John S Producer

HDMI
    DVI
    Component
    Svideo
    and even Composite.

Possibly even multiples of some of those.

Have yu decided on your display model? A look at the available inputs would really tell the story.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

dvi & hdmi are the two new digital connections. hdmi carries *both* audio and video signals on one cable. dvi carries only video. i suspect, if you're getting a new model sony (is this a plasma or lcd), then it will have hdmi.

if you're running most of your signals through your receiver, make sure you buy a receiver which will upconvert all the video signals to component. that will *greatly* simplify your wiring. this way, no matter what kind of wiring your components have, the receiver will be able to handle it and send out the signals via just the component cables to your tv.

dvi/hdmi will come in handy though ... they're really going to become the defacto standard (well, hdmi will) for running audio/video. so if your tv has those connections (it will definitely have one or the other) ... then make sure you run those cables as well.

check out this link for some pics.