What's new

installing speakers using 14/4 cable (1 Viewer)

primetime

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Can someone advise me of the best way to connect to in ceiling speakers using 4 conducter wire. Should I cut the wire at the first speaker location and then spice to the second using wire nuts? Or, is there a easy method of stripping the outside casing to continue my run to the second speakers without cutting or risking damage to the individual wires?
Thanks

chuckg

Supporting Actor
If careful, you can slice through the outer cover on cabling. Remove 8 or so inches of sheath. Then on the two wires that go to the first speaker, cut them at the end away from the amp. Now you'll have two eight-inch wires for speaker one, and unbroken wire to lead on to speaker two.

I've done this for electronic things for years.

primetime

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Thanks Chuck,
That's exactly how I thought I should proceed. My old electrician friend told me to just cut them off and use wire nuts.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wire nuts are not the best choice for splicing two sections of stranded wire. See the wire-splicing article linked in my signature.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

chuckg

Supporting Actor
If you bend the speaker cable fairly sharply, and then draw a very sharp knife across right at the outside of the bend, usually you can slice the outer sheath without cutting clear through it (the last bit of thickness will just part on its own) and you'll never touch the wire inside.

Make a length-wise slice between two such cuts, but again don't go clear through. Use a pair of pliers to grab the outer jacket and peel it off.

Voila' clean cuts without conductor damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonvn
Recent bookmarks