What's new

Installing Speakers in a '90 Sunbird (1 Viewer)

Sarah_A

Auditioning
It appears the right dash board speaker in my '90 pontiac sunbird (4-door) has croaked. It began making this horrible crackling noise quite some time ago and after a bit of research, I concluded it was time to get new ones.
I purchased a set of Pyle Millenium 3.5" two-way speakers after some consultation with some of my audio inclined friends. Unfortunately, they don't seem to know much about actually installing the speakers. Even more unfortunately, neither do I.
I've been hunting for information pertaining to my car in particular and turning up very little, so I decided to see if anyone here has any experience they would be willing to share with me. I have been able to find generic instructions and such, which I'm sure will be helpful, but I would very much appreciate anything more specific.
Thanks in advance for helping a complete "newbie"

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
Go to your local AutoZone or other car parts store and buy a Haynes manual for your car. It will have basic instructions and illustrations which will help with this job and others.

Occasionally, Haynes or Chilton's manuals can be found in public libraries. Good luck.

Sarah_A

Auditioning
Ah, I appreciate that suggestion, but sadly, there isn't a Haynes manual for Sunbirds. They sound like very useful publications for fixing pretty much anything.

Sarah_A

Auditioning
Oops! I stand corrected. There, IS a manual for sunbird. I suppose I just missed it some how. I will definitely go get one this weekend - it should be very helpful. Thanks again!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Usually the GM vehicle front speakers have grilles that either just pop off or are held in place with a screw. Then, the speakers are top-mounted to the dash with a few screws.

You might want to do a little research on the wire colors, so you'll know which speaker wire is positive, and which is negative. Plus, the plastic connector will not directly connect to your new 3.5" speakers. You might have to cut the wires and install some crimp-sytle spade connectors to the wires so you can properly connect the wires to the speakers.

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton

I don't like to cut stock wiring. Scosche, Metra and others make wiring adapters that will plug into the stock plug in your car and then connect directly to your new speakers. No cutting, soldering, or irreversible changes to your car. And you can be certain that the speakers are wired correctly. ;) The adapters are available at Best Buy, Circuit City, some WalMarts, etc.

Sarah_A

Auditioning
Thanks, Denton! Those connectors sound like a great idea.
I appreciate your advice, Wayne, too. I'll be sure to pay close attention to the wire colors.

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
o my lord!!! I didn't know anyone would have that car. I had that car for about 2 yrs and sold it to my gf. Thing was smurf blue and so ugly. I replaced the speakers out of there. i believe either the grill pops out and you need one of those L shaped screwdrivers to remove it or pull of the sides of the dashboard and you'll be able to see the screws that mount it down. Can't remember which way it was but one of them works. I'm suprised you inclined audio friends suggested Pyle, if it was me i'd suggest small infinity speakers.

Sarah_A

Auditioning
Thanks, David - that should be helpful.
Actually, my car has been very good to me. Runs really well, if a bit loud. I wasn't all that interested in really great sound - just being able to use my radio again without that horrible crackling sound (that and I really don't have much extra cash to spend). If I ever upgrade, I'll check out the infinity speakers.

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
yeah know what you mean by just getting sound back. My sunbird ran great but then for some reason when i gf got it it went to crap. Maybe its that woman's touch on cars....lol...just messing. It was showning its age when my gf got it. Still has a very solid engine, just the piping and valves were going bad. But the Smurf blue color with the red stripe through the middle.....how terrible its like the papa smurf guy.

Sarah_A

Auditioning
Well, just thought I'd check in and leave some information for anyone else attempting this.
The Speaker grills are held in with simple tabs which make them really easy to get out. They're a sort of hard rubbery material that flexes just enough to pry them up. The speakers themselves are held in with two screws - either a ninety-degree screwdriver with a star bit or a socket wrench (9/32 I believe) will get them out. I purchased a set of the metra wiring harnesses from best buy for the ease of installation.
Thanks to everyone who lent their advice. It was all much apreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks