What's new

Installing RAM into a laptop (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I'm nearly ready to spring for a laptop (my first), and I'm looking for at least 3GB of RAM. Problem is, nearly all laptops I see come with just 2GB (very few exceptions).

I've installed plenty of desktop RAM, but I assume that task is much easier than installing into a laptop.

Is it a difficult process?

Thanks,

Jon

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Installing RAM in most notebook computers is an easy process, as the module connectors are just underneath one of the unscrewable panels on the bottom. It's infinitely simpler than in desktop computers, actually. No reaching in among computer components and cables.

If you really want to save some money, the best thing to do is buy the minimum amount of RAM possible at time of computer purchase (in 1 stick is usually the cheapest) and get the full amount of RAM you want from a third party vendor. It will almost always be less expensive.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
often only 1 stick is accessible under the external door. the other stick is usually under the keyboard. a little more time consuming but not too difficult.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I believe that is the case on all Dell laptops now. I just got a new laptop about 2 months ago and ordered it with the minimum amount of RAM from Dell, then I ordered the RAM I actually wanted from Newegg. The first stick was extremely easy to install on the bottom, but for the other one I had to open up the laptop and get under the keyboard. It wasn't too bad at all, but it's a somewhat uncomfortable feeling to be pulling apart a brand new laptop.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
And before you bother, be sure to discover if your laptop can even utilize more than 2 gigs. On some, there's a limit which tends to be 2 GB, so you might stick in 3 or 4 gigs worth but find the machine only "sees" 2 GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks