installing projector and screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by merv, Jan 20, 2005.

1. merv

merv Auditioning

I have been left to install a sony hs51 and 92" 16x9 screen.
    my installer has become sick and cannot help me. My room is 22 feet long and 14 feet wide with an 8 foot ceiling. It looks like the project needs to be around 13 feet from the screen, my question is how far from the ceiling should the screen be installed on the wall and what distance from the ceiling should the projector be mounted (ceiling mounted)? any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Merv, since you're asking a question that's out of the beginner's realm, I've moved your post to Display Devices. You'll get a better response here.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The lens of the projector will line up closely to the top of the screen assuming the projector will be ceiling mounted. The projector will also have zoom capabilities but it is better to mount the projector further away from the screen and then zoom the image larger than to have the projector closer and zoom the image in smaller.

According to the calculators as Projector Central for the HS51... here, your projector will be a minimum of 13.5' away from the screen and from that location, you will obtain from 92" to 142". Of course, you will have to check by throwing an image from that distance in your setup (you can temporarily table mount). Also, the manuals contain the throw information as well.

Are you going to ceiling mount and do you have a mount for it already?

4. Lito

Lito Agent

page 11 of the hs51 manual has the formulas for throw distance as a function
    of screen size.

plug them into excel and calculate the distances.

the hs51 pdf manual is downloadable from the sony website.

5. merv

merv Auditioning

Thanks guys, it is up and working great.

6. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

take some pics and send them are way. Always like to see another up and running projector.