Installing PHP and MySQL on my home machine

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren Lewis, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I'm starting to learn more about writing web pages in PHP. I want to be able to test some scripts on my own machine without having to upload them to my server online.

Can I install PHP and mySQL on my home machine (running Windows 2000 SP2). If so, are there any problems or pitfalls I should know about?

Do I need this IIS thing?

2. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

You will need IIS or some form of web server. I would recommend IIS as it works pretty well for this purpose.
    Installing PHP and MySQL is a snap. Just go to the respective websites and download the Windows installers (www.php.net www.mysql.com). It is just a matter of running the setup programs.
    You will need to do a bit of tweaking once they are installed. Check the documentation on the websites.
    I have done this on my 2000 machine last summer but I don't remember the details of what I did to get it all set up. Needless to say it was much easier than on my OS X Sever 1.2 box!
    Good luck. If you have more questions post them here and I'll try and help.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Yes, you can do this. On a Win9x system, you can use PWS (Personal Web Server). I believe there is an IIS equivalent for W2K. Both PHP and MySQL have pretty good installers.
    Here is a tutorial I wrote a while back on isntalling PHP on a Win98 system, posted at FAQTS
    http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/...id/5495/fid/42 (although mostly obsolete thanks to the new PHP installation system).
    Php builder has good tutorials and a decent forum:
    http://phpbuilder.com/

4. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies. I've now successfully installed IIS5.0, PHP and MySQL on my home machine. Very useful for me to test out PHP and SQL stuff without messing up my main server online.
    I found a good installer-help for MySQL (which was a little trickier than PHP to install) at this site
    Now that I've got IIS installed, does that open up any security holes? I've got a good firewall running.

5. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I would go to the Microsoft site and apply every patch you can find.