Installing Banana Connections

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RonGecan, May 20, 2003.

1. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

Bought a new Denon 1082 (3802) last week and yesterday received a set of Axiom 50's to go with it. I purchased 12 gauge speaker wire from Home Depot and was going to put on the bananas that I got from Radio Shack. I got the solderless type, where the bare speaker wire fits though a small hole in the connector and then a collar is tightened around to hold it in place. The problem is that the 12 gauge is too big to fit through the small hole. I trimmed a bit of the wire down to fit, but this seems to defeat the purpose of using lower gauge wire (I'm not even sure this will make a strong connection either).

Question, did I mess up and get too small of banana connectors or am I to get the kind that need soldering? What do other people do?

Thanks

Ron

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You are correct. Trimming your 12 guage to fit into the smaller hole would be like making your 12 guage wire 16 guage. I hope you did not dish out too much money on those bananas.

3. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

Radio Shack has Bananas like that, and they will work with 10 or 12 guage wire. I find I have to be careful how I put the 12 guage wire in it. If I don't, it won't crimp it tight enough to keep from pulling back out on a good tug. Make sure you have the version for 10 or 12 guage wire.

4. DomB

DomB Auditioning

I bought these Dayton audio banana connectors from parts express and it was a very good experience. They have a large opening for small guage wires (they advertise down to 8). The company was good too, order showed up quickly and as expected.

I haven't used them for very long though, so I don't know how they hold up over time.

5. Bill Kolp

Bill Kolp Extra

I also have an Axiom system and decided to by-pass spades and plugs by connecting the wire directly to the A/V Amp and speakers. Thus eliminating a possible point of failure.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Sounds like you got the wrong size banana plugs.

The dual-bananas (for behind the speakers) are (2xx-308). The single-bananas are (2xx-306). I believe both of these can handle down to 10 ga.

7. RonGecan

RonGecan Agent

Thanks everyone for the help and Dom for the link to Parts Express. I bought from them last week and were delivered last night. Everything worked well -- I learned some technique by the end, so I'll have to go back and rework the first few I did. The only hitch is that the plug seems a little too long for the speaker end, though fits in perfectly on the receiver side. No problems, all the speakers are working properly, it's just that the plug doesn't fit flush. I'm sure I need smaller pins, though, admittedly don't feel like sending these back and starting over again.

Now, to get my $10 back from Radio Shack....