Installing an antenna in an attic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveA, Jul 5, 2001.

1. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

The stations in my city (Richmond, VA) are scheduled to start broadcasting in HD within the next year. How well do television antennas work when installed inside an attic rather than outside on a roof? The stations I will be attempting to receive should be pretty strong (transmitters within 10-20 miles of the house).
    Anyone have any experience with this kind of a setup?

2. DarrellP

DarrellP Stunt Coordinator

Should work OK. I am about 40 miles from the towers and have Radio Shack's largest UHF in my attic and I get great reception. I live in a duplex and on the side I live in, my antenna is pointing right at the firewall between us and I have no problems. Take note, however, that I live in a fairly flat valley with no hills in the way.
    Good luck.

3. Eric Crampton

Eric Crampton Auditioning

Darrell, what kind of grounding is required? I'm thinking of an attic installation as well, as the TV-top rabbit ears aren't quite enough and the association rules restrict non-dish antenna installations. Here in Indy we have a VHF HDTV station, channel 9; is yours a UHF-only rig?
    Thanks!

4. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

I also have an Antenna in my Attic. It will probably only be temporary until I can get it installed on my roof. I live about 30-40 Miles away from the Towers in NY and I’m getting a good signal. I’m using a UHF Channel Master Antenna that was given to me by a Friend so I’m unsure of the model number. I’m getting the following Results:
    CBS: 100% (has the strongest broadcasting signal though)
    NBC: 30-40%
    FOX: 30-40%
    ABC: 70s%
    WB: 50-70%
    Eric: If you have the Antenna indoors than grounding it wouldn’t be required.
    ------------------
    ~Andrew~
    ~Pronto Programmer~
    AIM SN: FFU Productions
    ICQ #: 21603991
    Home Theater Pictures [Updated: June 22]
    Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection

5. TerryBlauser

TerryBlauser Auditioning

Also, if you search here or at AVSFORUM for FCC you'll find that Home Owner's Associations have been severly limited by the government in their ability to forbid receiving antenna installations except for safety or historical preservations.
    Basicly if you need external equipment to get a usable signal and you're installing on property you have exclusive rights to by ownership or rent/lease they need to go bother somebody about their choice of paint color 'cause Uncle Sam is on your side. Don't let them give you the story about available cable either.
    Look it up you'll like it.

6. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

SteveA,
    I installed a Channel Master 3023 with a Channel Master 9521 in my attic just last week. (the CM3023 is the same antenna as the more popular CM4248, but comes in 2 pieces so shipping charges are substantially less $$) This setup is being used with an E*6000 receiver with 8VSB OTA module.
    I am approximately 25 miles from the towers and the attic installation barely gets me above a pretty think tree-line that I have to contend with. That being said I am getting the following results:
    NBC - 92-97%
    ABC - 95-100%
    CBS - 85-90%
    FOX - 78-83%
    PBS - 68-73% (out-of-state...approx. 40 miles away)
    Prior to this setup I used both the RatShack double-bowtie and the Antiference Silver Sensor . I was able to realize a 15-25% gain over the double-bowtie and a 10-15% gain over the Silver Sensor by switching to the attic antenna. Also, the Silver Sensor is highly directional and in order to receive an optimum signal I would have to re-adjust the antenna for each station. With the CM3023 in the attic I only need to rotate to pick up the out-of-state PBS station. (it's 180° from the other towers)
    Check this thread this weekend and I'll try to post some pictures of the installation.
    As with any antenna discussion you need to remember that each situation is unique and what works for me may not work for you. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Chip

7. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

8. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Thanks for the link, Chip. That's exactly what I have in mind for my new attic. I'm glad to hear it works for you.
    Steve

9. Darren D

Darren D Stunt Coordinator

I was startled to see this subject because I've been playing around with the idea of putting one in my attic. But the headspace is only about 3.5 to 4 feet from the ceiling to the roof. Just about all the local broadcast stations are within 40 miles of here, so I don't think I would need a huge one.
    Plus, I was wondering if the air conditioning unit in the attic or presence of other metal objects in the attic would have any effect on the reception. Can anyone tell me if this would have any effect?
    Thanks!

10. Timothy Doane

Timothy Doane Auditioning

11. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Timothy - last time I checked, all the major networks affiliates in Richmond are scheduled to begin broadcasting in digital (which will surely include some HD content) by the end of 2002. There's a web site that has the nationwide rollout schedule for digital TV, but I can't remember the URL.
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the cable companies (I have Comcast) to carry these signals, although some cable companies like TimeWarner have begun carrying HD signals in some cities. Hopefully it'll happen here.