installing a second hard drive - some general questions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ted Lee, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i recently got my hands on a brand new (still sealed) 40g western digital hd. i don't think it has the 8mb buffer, but for free, i can't complain. but it is the raw drive only, no manuals, software, etc.

i'd like to install it as a secondary drive in my system. i already have the wd 80g (8mb buffer) as master on my primary eide channel.

i guess the only thing i really know is that it has to be marked as "slave". i never got the cable-select option to work for me. i'm pretty sure i already have the correct eide cable (with an additional connection), but if not it's no biggie for me to get another one.

i guess my question is how do i get my system (xp home) to recognize and format the drive. is it done within xp, or do i need to get to dos to do it?

i just want it to be an additional hd that i can use for backup...nothing fancy...i don't need to install any additional os's or anything like that. i built this pc myself, so i'm pretty sure i can figure it out, but i figured i'd better ask first! [​IMG]

any help (or weblinks) would be appreciated!

thx,

ted

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

If it's going to be slave on the primary port, then it needs to be set as slave. I assume this is what you mean when you say 'install it as a secondary drive'.

As soon as you install it your computer should recognize it and you should be able to format it, I think you should be able to right click and format just like a floppy.

3. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I think James is right... may need to partition it before you format it.... **tinking outloud*** hmmm does xp home have a partion tool? *** end thinking outloud*** there should be but Im not sure where it would be at.

May just want to go to Western Digital and download their hard drive instalation boot disk.

As for the physical connection of the hard drive... set your 80 gig as master, set the 40 as slave. use the plug on the end of the cable for the 80 gig and the slave will use the middle connector the other end to the MB.

boot up with your WD boot disk (that you downloaded) and partition/format the 40 gig drive.

BY ALL MEANS DONT FORMAT THE 80 gig DRIVE!!!!! back up stuff if your not 100% that way you will not loose any data in an unfortuniate accident.

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Since it was in the package it is probably set to be a master drive. On the back of it are some pairs of pins, with a plastic jumper over two of them.
    Usually on the top of the drive (at the back) it shows what pairs of pins are for what type of drive. You'll probably have to pull the jumper and set it over the slave pair.

Then screw it in, attach the two cables and crank her up!

Glenn

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

really...it's that easy?

1. set to slave
    2. connect to secondary connection on my primary-channel cable
    3. start my pc
    4. format from within xp

wow...that's easier than i thought. hopefully...

heh..thx guys! if anyone has any other tips, lemme know!

[​IMG]

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Sorry... I made a completely bonehead mistake and forgot you would have to partition it.

Apparently with xp you can go to control panels, admin tools, computer management, disk management, and then create the partition in there. Then format. Sorry about that >_

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

james - thx for that path to that disk management tool. i would *never* have found that... :b

8. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Don't forget that you'll need to change the jumper on the 80g drive from "single" to "master". WD drives don't use "master" setting when used alone on an IDE channel. The single setting is actually an "open" position, usually sideways.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hah..didn't know that either steve. thanks for the heads-up!

i'll probably go to their website later just to see what they have.

thx again all.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

believe it or not...i finally got around to doing this and it worked like a charm. thx everyone.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

deleted...