Installing a New Sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Zach Brown, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Zach Brown

Zach Brown Auditioning

HI-

I recently bought at 5.1 Dolby digital speaker set up.
    the JBL SCS150, system. I would post a link to the JBL website but i don't seem to be allowed to yet.
    Regardless, After using for a few weeks i noticed that the Cone (i think that what it is called) of the sub had a indention. And was screwing up the way the sound Hit.
    It is a 150W 10" sub.

SO i am looking into replacing just the speaker and keeping the box and all that other good stuff the same.

I am using a JVC 8020rx receiver (again i would like to post a link) to push it.

SO my questions are as follows:
    1) what should i be looking for when buying a new sub to replace my old one. I am thinking Ebay is where i will find the best deal.
    2) what brand would work well with my current set up.
    3) what should I look out for, and how do i install the new sub. Is just clipping and re-attaching those 2 wires?

Thanks for your time.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

1. The exact same driver, really. Especially with a ported enclosure, it's part of a system that can't be replaced by some other driver. It should be the same part number.

2. If another sub altogether, maybe the new DLS sub at Parts Express?

3. Yep, as long as the driver fits perfectly in the hole. That is very important, and depth too, if the port is back there somewhere.

Is this something you did, or was it like that upon delivery? I'd see if a warranty replacement is possible. See if you can go that route first.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

The cone is simply a dustcap ... that's it!!

If you use something sticky you should be able to pull it out.

B

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

If the driver has a vented magnet (a hole in the center of the voice coil on the back) you can put your mouth on it and gently blow the dust cap back into shape.

I had to do that with my Shiva after my cat sat on it. :b

5. Zach Brown

Zach Brown Auditioning

Thanks for the Help!

I'll keep ya updated.