Installing a Middle Atlantic Rack

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricTownsend, Oct 10, 2001.

1. EricTownsend

EricTownsend Stunt Coordinator

I got a great deal on a Middle Atlantic ASX-30 slide out rack that I will be installing in a "roughed-in" basment. Does anyone have any expert tips and/or gotchas to look out for with an in-wall setup as this? I will be having help from a friend who knows construction, but is not savy in the A/V install world.
    Thank you,
    Eric Townsend

2. Patrick Bennett

Patrick Bennett Stunt Coordinator

My advice is to figure out how you're going to finish the exterior first. My rack didn't quite come out flush with the wall like I expected, and the carpenter had to rig up a few things to make it look decent. I also had problems with the opening and shelf for the rack not being 'quite' square.
    My only other advice is to make sure you're going to have something for >a while< before buying the custom shelves/faceplates. I've already changed two of the components I had purchased faceplates for. At this point, I'm going to wait until I've got something I know I'll have for a little while before purchasing anymore.
    ------------------
    The Bennett Home Theater: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...654&a=12500765

3. EricTownsend

EricTownsend Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for the heads-up! Points well taken.
    I checked out the pictures of your setup and I like the way the rack turned out. I was thinking of putting doors on mine to keep my 2 year old away... Where did you purchase the blanks? Trying to find a vendor, at least on-line, that carries stock matched to Middle Atlantic's part numbers is tough.
    Thanks again,
    Eric

4. Patrick Bennett

Patrick Bennett Stunt Coordinator

MarkerTek had the best prices I could find (and seems to carry pretty much all of the middle-atlantic parts). Actually >finding< some of the items can be pretty dificult though. Their site isn't the best.
    ------------------
    The Bennett Home Theater: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...654&a=12500765
    [Edited last by Patrick Bennett on October 17, 2001 at 07:00 PM]