Installing a digital thermostat, help!!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by James L White, Jul 4, 2006.

1. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

I have a Rheem Heat Pump model is RCHA-24A2GH14 (if the model number helps you know what kind I have) any how my main concern is compatibility, right now I have some cheep Honeywell "analog" thermostat and would like a digital so I can more accurately control the temperature setting, any how back to compatibility is there anything I need to know before I pick one up?

2. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

The main thing is make sure the circut / fuse for that power line is off. I have never done one myself, only watched but they seem pretty straight forward... I hate to say it, being a man, but, read the instructions.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Read the instructions, you do need to figure out your schematics with a heat pump, I believe they have a little different scheme for connecting all the wires for a heat pump. Nothing major, just different options.

It's a good thing to make a note which wires go where on your old thermostat so you can at least figure out which wires go where to your new thermostat. Fortunately, there seems to be some kind of standard for labelling them connector posts.. Read your instructions on the new thermostat before removing your old one too, or take a digital picture of the old thermostat connectors for reference.

Jay

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Home Depot sells RiteTemp digital thermostats. You need to make sure you get the right type of thermostat for your heat pump. There's also wiring info on RiteTemp's website. http://www.ritetemp-thermostats.com/

5. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey

Ok first off most good a/c men try to wire the thermostat color for terminal
    i.e.G terminal=Green wire(fan)
    R terminal=Red wire(24V hot) and so on

Now the problem with a heat pump is depending on stat you have to pay attention to the dip switch settings or program settings or jumper settings to make sure it is set up for heat pump, but thats not the main problem.
    You have to see what wire your reversing valve in your condenser is hooked up to, it is either going to be the B or the O terminal.

In all honesty with a heat pump get a qualified tech to install the stat and if you decide to diy make sure ALL power is out, you touch the wire to another or touch the hot wire to anything metal and you will wish you called someone in the first place.

Good luck

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Personally I wouldn't install a thermostat myself. I think I've read stories on http://www2.hvac-talk.com/vbb/ about people installing them wrong and causing damage to expensive equipment.

7. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey

Yeah Philip, I'm a member there too, been doing HVAC for almost 13 years yall would be amazed how fast things can go wrong fast

8. Stan

Stan Producer

Had a new gas furnace and digital thermostat put in a few years ago. It was November, so no way to test the central air since it was covered and sealed for the winter.

The next summer, turned out that the furnace fan kicked in, but the A/C unit never turned on. Still under warranty so the furnace company came back, sent three guys, and they spent almost two hours checking the wiring, trying to get it right. Don't know if they had the wrong drawings, didn't know what they were doing, who knows. They finally got it fixed.

Anyhow, watching them work, I was amazed at how much wiring there is in a furnace/thermostat setup. I would never have attempted doing it myself, especially dealing with gas, the ignition system, etc.

9. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

I replaced my themostat with a digital one and it took all of 10 minutes. there were 3-4 wires if I remember correctly. This was for forced air heat/ac so I have no idea how heat pumps are hooked up.