What's new

Installed new hard drive, now I can't burn CDs! (1 Viewer)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I put a second IDE hard drive in my Dell Dim. 4500 recently. Since I have a DVD+RW and a ZIP drive, I had only 1 IDE connection left for it, but the cable wasn't long enough to stretch down to the hard drive bays. Soooo... I got a longer cable with, I think, 3 connecters on it. It works. Only now, when I try to make a music CD, it seems to crap out while writing the first song. No errors are reported in Roxio, it just locks up. In Media Player, it takes a while, then closes the session and spits the disc out. But, I have used DirectCD to make data disks, and I have even written a DVD from Pinnacle Studio 9, and those worked fine. Any ideas? Its a Philips DVD+RW-D28. Came with the Dell. Is my IDE cable too long or something? I tried limiting the write speed (down to 4x from 12x, same problem). Help!

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Look in your event viewer in windows and see what is in there. Right click My Computer and choose manage and look in the application event viewer to see if there are any errors being reported there.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Did you check on your seeting in the master and slave relationship?

I found this happened when I didn't check my setting, it would show the drive, but I couldn't write to it.

Brent

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yep, check your drives' master/slave settings.

One of the drives should be master, the other slave. Do NOT use cable select on either one.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I tried setting the DVD+RW from cable select to master, but that didn't seem to change anything, so I started from scratch, swapping out that long IDE cable I was using for shorter ones, and reconfiguring it so both HDs were on one, and the DVD+RW and ZIP drive were on the other (I avoided doing that before because I thought it would cause all sorts of problems).

Now everything works fine. I believe it was the extra long IDE cable. Strange that some burning operations worked and others did not, though.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks