What's new

Installation help (1 Viewer)

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator
I was just looking for opinions on where i should have my system installed. I know stereo's but i know nothing about car's themselves so trying to install it myself is out of the question. I originally had tweeter install my sub and they did a fine job but i have a 15 percent off coupon for best buy. I know the kid's know nothing about what they are selling at best buy. But is that also true about the installer's? I want someone who know's what they are doing not someone who think's 85 subwoofer's and factory everything else is a good sounding system
Thanks

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Don't take it to Best Buy then, half the time the installers are 16 year olds who wouldn't know a clean install if it hit them in the face.
If you're not willing to do it yourself, take it to Tweeter or a local stereo shop as they'll most likely do a better job that Worst Buy.

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
I fully concur.
go to Tweeter, or a small, higher end car audio specialty shop.
They know what they're doing. circuit city and best buy hire people off the street as installers I think. I've spoken to many of them, and ehard many more similar horror stories. These guys don't know the first thing most of teh time, about basic electrical principles, or advanced installation procedures. They know how to slap a radio and drop-in speakers into a car and that's about it, and half the time, do a poor job of even that. After over a decade in teh field myself, I can spot the fakes from a mile away.
Granted sometimes you may find someone really good in a big store like that, but why go for that one in a hundred chance without knowing ahead of time?

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'll just say that, you might want to give it a try yourself if you're remotely handy with tools. I first got into car audio when I was 16. I had a friend put a new CD deck in my car for me. I was afraid to solder so I had him do it for me. Later, I got speakers and I was a bit nervous about taking off the door panels and making adapter brackets etc. Then I decided a sub was in my future so he installed that for me too(I helped out as an extra set of hands and carefully observed). I then did a few headunits on my own(my brother's car and his girlfriend's car). When I got my new car in July, I put in a headunit, which was cake. The speakers were a bit trickier but I found a good guide on how to remove the door panels and make the right sized spacers. Then I decided I needed some type of sub(I ended up with a Kenwood Woox as I didn't want to sacrifice any cargo area space). It was a bit trickier but was nothing you couldn't do if you took your time.
My brother wants me to put a system in his new car around Christmas time and I think it should prove to be a fun project(99 Explorer, we're thinking new deck, speakers, and one of those MTX rear panel amp/sub combos). I totally understand if you're afraid of gutting your car yourself but look at it this way, you're likely to be more careful with your baby than the average installer would be :D

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator
Thank's guy's. It look's like i'm off to tweeter. I wish i could do car stereo install's it might be fun to learn. I like doing my home theater set up but installing a deck,speaker's,amp,and sub is way too much.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Rick, yeah if you're doing it all at once it can be a pain. I did mine in steps(deck in about 30 minutes after work on a Friday, front speakers Saturday, rear speakers Sunday, and Sub on a Thursday evening into thursday night). All at once it would have been a pain and I think I wouldn't have been as careful.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
Rick, if you have not gone yet try Crutchfields (www.crutchfield.com) installer.com referral service. They tell you which installers in your area are MECP certified and which ones are Master Installers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks