Installation Help Needed for Toshiba HDD/DVR

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jody B, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Jody B

Jody B Auditioning

Dec 29, 2005
    Hi. I'm new to the Home Theater Forum. I have a 5.1 surround system but am not hooking it up yet because I just moved and am doing work on my new place. I am just hooking up to my new tv, a Sony Hi-Def. I am trying to connect my new Toshiba HDD/DVD Video Recorder and am having trouble with the installation. I can watch a dvd, and the other day I could record sound but not video. I can't seem to get channels to change on the unit either. Do I have to upload 24 hours continuously to get the patented "TV guide" before I can record anything? If I go from the cable box to the dvr to the tv, will I lose hi-def? I'm hoping to work out the connections this weekend so I can start enjoying the unit. Can anyone help me or point me to a website that might help? Specifically I have digital cable - Comcast, the Toshiba RD-XS34 with 160 gig hard drive and a Sony 60" LCD Projection tv. If you can help, please click here and send me an email
  2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    You don’t give us any idea how you have it connected, but if you have digital cable you won’t be able to change channels on the DVD-R. You’ll have to use the cable converter box for that because the recorder most likely can only function as a tuner for regular cable.

Don’t do the connections via the antenna connections for all those pieces.

Try these connections: Cable from the wall to the cable box, as usual (i.e., not from the wall to the DVD-R). Then send the line-level RCA audio and video connections to the DVD-R from the cable box. Select the line input option on the recorder, tune your channel on the cable box, then you can record.

Back to the cable box, send the antenna output to the TV. This lets you watch digital cable through channel 3 or 4.

Send the DVD recorder’s audio and video outputs to a set of inputs on the TV. Select the correct video input to watch your DVDs.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt