What's new

Installation Basics *HELP* Needed (1 Viewer)

LawrenceJ

Agent
Is there an area for basic installation help that I can read up on? I am getting confused as to what cables to hook up when? For example,
Here is my setup
60" sony lcd wega
marantz 7500 receiver
sony 5 disc dvd
sony 300disc cd changer
sony laserdisc player
voom satellite box

most items i hooked up the red&white audio rca jacks and optical or digital coax where available. Other items I hooked up the component video cables. Now when I hook up the hdmi/dvi cable, should I leave the component video cables connected still? also, there are some instances where the s-video cable hookup doesn't look as clear as the standard rca video out? That is specifically with the laserdisc player. Any help greatly appreciated.

SimiA

Second Unit
You pretty much have a good grasp of how to set your system up.
You may want to upgrade your audio cables to see if you can hear a difference. I like to use the toslink connection when I can. I ave to use a toslink switcher 'cause I don't have enough connections in my system
If your Voom box has a DVI/HDMI cable, hook that up and leave the component connection empty. You never know when you might need them for other video sources such as an x-box.
Sometimes, a good coax video cable is better than using s-video, as you've discoverd with your laser disc.
If you can use your Marantz as a switcher between video sources, that would might help switching between audio & video sources.
You have a really nice system by the way.
Vb
Vb

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's what I would do:

VIDEO
DVD -> TV - use HDMI/DVI or component
VOOM -> TV - use HDMI/DVI whichever is unused from the DVD.
LD -> TV - S-video. You may need to calibrate for the source or try a better cable. Image quality should be similar, but color should be a bit better with S-vid.

With only 2 sources, there is no real need to switch video via the receiver.

AUDIO
DVD -> receiver - coax or optical digital
CD -> receiver - coax or optical digital
LD -> receiver - can't tell you without knowing what model, but if it is stereo analog only, well...

How do you like the 7500? I just recommended it to a friend of mine.

LawrenceJ

Agent
Thank you guys for the help! I like the 7500 alot, its a huge step up from the sony str-de935 receiver i've had for the last 4 years. I have one more question. Ever since hooking up my satellite dish, i have lost pip functionality.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For PIP, you will probably need to ask in the Sources forum, but AFAIK, it is normal to lose PIP when using a cable or satellite box (at least I always have) because the box is always sending the same signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks