Install speakers for a 99 civic coupe

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Andrew_A_Paul, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Anyone here install speakers, or a cd playing in a 99 civic? If so any tips on how to do the head unit, and components? I'm curious about the 6x9 rears because it seems that you can't take the grills off.

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Try this site

The rear speakers are a bitch to do. Since they are only fill, I'd suggest leaving them.7th gen civic

3. How do you mean they are a pain in the ass? Hard to get the grills off? Hard to change the speakers?

What about the cd player? I called an install place and they said that they leave the factory behind the dash because the factory head unit is where everything runs through for the keyless entry and all that.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If you order your speakers from Crutchfield they'll include step by step illustrated instructions on how to install them in your model Civic. This is the best way to start DIY car audio imo.

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

The front speakers in my 96 coupe were easy as hell. All you have to do is remove the speaker cover and your done basically. As for the rears, god I hate them!! you have to remove alot of the plastic cladding in the back to get at those dam things. Replacing the large back plastic cover is a bugger to do, but if you have a Hatchback, then I guess it's a totally different story.

As for leaving the rears, I wouldn't recommend that. The rears provide most of the volume in my car, and without them, my sound system would sound like shit. I have Eclipse 6.5"ers up front and Eclipse 6x9's in the back, all driven with an Eclipse 4 channel amp, sounds awesome. I also have an Eclipse 8712 sub with an Eclipse 400 watt amp.

If you get a sub, you will most likely have some serious rattling issues with that large piece of plastic covering the back speakers, and what I did was to put foam weatherstripping, 1/4 thick, on the underside of it, and now I have NO rattles, worked great.

Oh ya, the cd player can be a bitch to get at as well. In my car I had to remove the glove box, to get at some screws, as well as the plastic covering under the steering wheel. All that is to get the center console around the cd player off. Have fun though [​IMG]

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"As for leaving the rears, I wouldn't recommend that"

Upgrade the rears ONLY if you tend to watch concert by looking at the rear of the stadium.

Rear fill is meant to be just that REAR FILL! 85-90% of the sound should come from the front speakers.

You basically need to take the entitr rear dash, and one half of the rear seat off to get at it.

The deck shoulf be pretty easy. You should have a spot where the "accessory" socket is plugged in. If I remember, that just pulls out and there are 2 bolts under the dash, 7-8MM I think. Unscrew them and find a spot to push from behind it should just pop out..

Try this link, sorry about the other one install

Brent

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

8. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Where are you planning on getting the install done? Unless there is something you dont like about the factory deck, I would consider just replacing the speakers first. Of course with your fronts, how are you planning on replacing the tweeters? And, the crossover settings are probably in the factory deck rather than an outboard crossover somewhere in the car. The crossover settings may not be compatible with after market component speakers.

9. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Charles, the factory HU is garbage. Putting in aftermarket speakers will make hardly any difference at all with the factory HU. You'll need the extra power of an upgraded cd player to get the benefit of the new speakers.

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    On the head unit, there is a virtical screw holding the factory unit in from the bottom. Ynscrew this and it should pop out. Use the Sleave of the new uni and put it in place. You may need a kit to make it look nice.

At least this is what it was like in 97 on my friends civic.

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

From what I've been told(I haven't taken the front doors apart on my 2003 civic YET) the speaker have a basic in line crossover(just a cap?).

I'd check before I replace the deck. It was around then that they ran some other stuff(power door locks, starter disable) through the deck. I made sure on my car that that wasn't the case before I replaced the deck. I've heard stories about cars that wouldn't start after somebody had the deck replaced.

The front speaker don't sound all that bad with just a deck upgrade!!

As for the attempted concert analogy what I meant was ... Most people tend to like the music to surround them, and come equally from the front and rear speakers. If that's you, fine, but It's incorrect. Go and listen to an orchestra and all you will hear coming from the rears is the reverb from the sound bouncing off the concert hall.

Remember the reason that concerts have so many speakers all over the place is because of the size of venue and also the fact that sound moves much slower than electricity.... You wouldn't want the sound not to sync with the players would ya?? The delay between the front and back of the venue would be pretty big otherwise.

There is a big difference between watching a movie and listening to a concert. Movies attempt to recreate real life , when in a concert the players are always in front of you and they don't(in general) walk behind you.

The only sound should be the reverb coming from the rear speakers.

If you can use a low pass filter for the rears(80hz or less)I'd say upgrade to something with more "bass handling" ability.

It doesn't help that the rears are such a bitch to get at.

Brent.
    There are lots of smaller cars that do well in IASCA(International Auto Sound Challenge Association) with ONLY front speakers.

13. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Yep you're right, 3" speakers would suck.

If you want to spend a few buck, and NOT wreck your doors look at Qforms. It moves your speaker from the doors to the kick panels. It also helps that they fit 6" speakers!

I'm really suprised that your CIvic would have speakers that small up front??

Brent

14. Sorry Brent, I should have been more descriptive. My first car had 3 1/2's in front. My civic has 6 1/2 components. Sorry about that. All I meant was is that its hard to get 80%+ sound out of 3 1/2 speakers (damn GM).

15. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I know, I just got rid of a Pontiac 6000 that had those speakers up top. I went to the junkyard and grabbed some tweeters out of a couple Bonneville SSEs and put them up top. Then I cut the door and put speakers in there.

Brent