Install new "bigger" amp in old Velodyne sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim A. Banville, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

How feasible would it be to replace the stock 100 watt plate amp on my Velodyne CT-120 with something about twice as powerful, like this one... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=9388&CATID=43 ? I like the inclusion of a variable phase control that I've ALWAYS wanted! Would the additional power improve the sub's quality and quantity of bass? This amp probably wouldn't fit in the hole from the stock amp, but I have plenty of room to build a little piggy-back affair on the rear of the sub to attch the new amp to. Is this crazy? Any other recommendations for another "new" replacement amp?
    thanks
    Jim

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jim,

It's probably not a good idea. Most commercial subs have some built-in equalization and limiters in their amps that are specifically designed for that specific driver in that enclosure. You'd be better off building a brand new sub from scratch. If you're capable of building a box, you can build a sub.

Brian

3. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

The other problem is the driver would likely bottom out VERY easily and in time you'd probably rip it to shreds.
    Sell the Velo, and either build or buy a kit sub instead... that way you'd actually benefit from a more powerful amp [​IMG]
    Think of it like a car; if the only difference between 200hp and 400hp in your car is the difference between spinning the tires more from a start, then it's not much benefit to have that extra power, is it?