Inspiration or Imitation? Film Music comparisons.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kevin M, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I am sure many have seen this site already but for those of you who have not and have an interest in such things here is a site that offers direct comparisons between film music and classical counterparts or film music to film music...hey, I know that just from the limited number of variations that can be used, music is a very cannibalistic form but come on!

FILMMUSIC-COMPOSERS

2. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

While I do enjoy Jerry Goldsmith's music, I have to agree with the website's claim of similarity in his own scores. Two of his film scores not listed on the site which sound very similar are Star Trek: First Contact and Air Force One, especially the main theme from each.

8^B

3. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing is a shameless rip of one of the more entertaining stories from Ariosto's Orlando Furioso.

Ariosto himself Shamelessly borrowed from Ovid, Virgil, Homer etc, (Shakespeare took from them as well).

"I would be nothing had a I not stood on the shoulders of geniuses" - (paraphrase of) Albert Einstein.

The question is, should everyone be required to reinvent the wheel themselves or should they learn from those that have gone before them. Sometimes one can learn an immense amount by using the structure that someone before has outlined. Pure originality is not something to be desired above all else, you need only reread Orson Scott Card's excellent short story "Unaccompanied Sonata" to understand why. [​IMG]

That said, the latest James Horner albums have essentially been compilation/best ofs from earlier works. Part of that is a composer's style, I can hear shades of Empire Strikes Back in Empire of the Sun. But even John Williams is not immune from the occasional Horner esque borrow.

That said, I still like em, and will continue to listen to Legends of the Fall and Empire Strikes Back (my two favorite scores) in utter bliss.

Adam

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Adam, the full quote is "If I have been able to see further than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." And it was Isaac Newton that said it.

5. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    thanks Dan, I'd heard the quote attributed to Einstein, but wasn't sure if even that was correct.

6. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Some elements of the Attack of the Clones soundtrack reminded me of Spielberg's Hook.

The first forty-five seconds of the main theme from Jack Nitzsche's The Razor's Edge (1983) (my favorite score) sounds an awful lot like John Williams' Superman theme.

And, of course, Jerry Goldsmith...