Insomnia Criterion DVD --Serious Problems!! Help??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Johnson, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Johnson

Jeffrey Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Insomnia Criterion DVD when it came out (about two years ago). I watched it a couple of times with no problems, and then put it on the shelf with the rest of my DVD's. I pulled it out last night and started watching it, and there were infrequent digital artifacts and glitches. Then, about halfway through, it started constantly artifacting and the sound started cutting in and out, too. It then started stopping and starting constantly. It quickly became completely unwatchable. There don't appear to be any scratches or fingerprints on the disc (I'm a bit anal about taking care of my dvd's), but I wiped it with a clean cloth anyways. That did not help. I tried it on a different player with the same results, and tried a different disc on both players with no problems, so it is definitely this disc. Has anyone else had similar problems with this or any other discs? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Kristian Sorensen

I bought mine when the dvd was released and watched it again during christmas. I didn't notice anything wrong with my copy.

Kristian

3. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Time for a player realignment/cleaning perhaps? I run into this sporadically with some titles including my Criterion Red Shoes and Armageddon. (Hey! I found it cheap at a used shop and am fascinated by the scientific adviser commentary. :b ) Sometimes when I try to chapter in near the layer change it freezes my 2nd generation Pioneer player (a DVL909), but it is a three-1/2 year old player.

Regards,

5. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor