What's new

Insomnia! Can't sleep... (1 Viewer)

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,how are you?

Ok it's been like a month now that i don't sleep a lot (around 2-4 hours MAX).
I don't know what to do...Someone once told me that when you get to sleep like 2 or 3 hours a night,your body get used to it and you will find it normal not to sleep more than that.
So the trick here,is to brake that cycle,so the doctor gave him some sleeping pills for like a week and then everything was alright.
But i don't wanna be dependant and don't be able to sleep without thoes pills...

You guys have any tricks to be able to sleep again
(like 6-7 hours a night)?

Thanks in advance!

Antonio

James T

Screenwriter
Reading internet stories. Real books don't fatigue me as much as reading off the monitor.

Also try listening to music through your portable CD player while you have your eyes shut and are trying to sleep.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
How long have you had insomnia?

Are you eating/drinking anything new?

Are you on any new medication?

I used to have trouble sleeping at night, then I was always groggy in the morning. But when I started my new diet on Jan,1 I cut caffeine out of my diet completly. After three days of withdrawl headaches I was always asleep in twenty minutes!

And no longer drinking three Mountain Dew's a day helped me loose 20 pounds.:D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I often have trouble sleeping and here's whay I did and recommend. I now usually sleep like a baby.

Exercise and eat well. Besides the obvious other health benefits, getting your body used to a regular schedule helps sleep. Regular exercise will make your body desire sleep much more- you'll be tired in a good way, at the right time.

Make sure you go to bed and wake up at the same times every day. Also beware of what I call "Sunday night syndrome"- getting up early on weekdays but sleeping late on the weekend, so that I can't fall asleep early on Sunday night.

It does help to read in bed. Read until you're really, really sleepy and your eyes are drooping. It's better to wait until that happens before trying to fall asleep before you're really tired and staying awake.

Don't consume sugar, caffeine, or heavy fats at night. You don't want your body devoting a lot of energy to digestion.

If you do this and get yourself real tired but you still can't sleep, then you may be an actual insomniac. In that case, see a doctor.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont sleep well either. Heres some stuff that can help you sleep though.

- Read, dont watch TV. If your watching TV, something you want to watch comes on and before you know it, its 1:30 AM.

- A glass or 2 of wine before bed.

- Be consistant about the time you go to sleep. If you want o be asleep by 11, make a effort to be in bed the same time every night. Get into a routine. Hopefully your body will adjust.

- Find a position thats easier to fall asleep to. Sounds silly but for me, once I got comfortable sleeping on my right side with a pillow over my head,even if I toss an sturn,its the position that always puts me to sleep.

- Sex.

- Breathing. Slow deep breathing can help.

- Get more exercise.

- Try not to think of anything. Be like Yoda and empty your mind of everything. No matter how aggravating the day is or what problem your having at the moment. If you think about it while trying to sleep youll be up for hours.

- Soft,relaxing music or sounds

-Cigarettes, caffiene and sugar should be avoided at night.

- Try to wake up earlier. It will make you more tired. Instead of being tired at 10, you may find yourself tired at 8:30. Again, your body will adjust and you find yourself tired easlier and possibly getting a bit more sleep.For me it works for a bit and then wears off.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had trouble sleeping sporadically through college. It was usually caused by stress or anxiety and sometimes because of snoring roommate.

Two things that have helped me: a box fan. The constant drone of noise drowns out external noises and could help relax me. I also found it helpful sometimes to sleep somewhere besides my bed. A different environment (even the couch in your living room) could help relax me enough to fall asleep more readily.

If this is persistent, you might talk to your doctor about it. S/he might be able to provide guidance.

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah i have to admit that i've been stressing out soo much in the past weeks and haven't been doing exercises...

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Antonio,

I think you just answered your own question. If you are mildly depressed, your family physician can give you something to take the edge off. If it's more than that, you might need more proffessional help.

Exercise and take your doctors advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks