What's new

Insomnia. A remake? (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm watching TV and run across a 30-second spot for "Insomnia" w/ Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hillary Swank (I didn't see who directed). I was wondering if this was a remake of the swedish movie, currently distributed by The Criterion Company, suprisingly also called Insomnia. The former movie is from the 90's and was directed by Erik sombody (I can't spell his name), and starring several other people who's names are incompatible with my american keyboard.
At any rate, I was wondering if anybody had high hopes for this movie? I liked the original film, but I never considered it a best-picture quality masterpiece. And I personally believe that they made excellent choices with the new cast (Robin Williams is a killer?!? The devil you say!). But I don't see how they could get the whole "Never gets dark outside" sub-story to an english speaking country. Yup, This is one I'm definetly going to see.:)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Yes, it's a remake. It's also Christopher Nolan's first movie after Memento so I have very high hopes for this one.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I really liked the original Norwegian version with Stellan Skarsgard.

As for the "always light" factor, this remake takes place in Alaska -- isn't it always daytime there in certain places for half the year or something like that?

In any case, I love Al Pacino and look forward to this. I only wish it didn't open on "Clones" weekend! Guess that's counterprogramming, but I wanted to avoid the "Clones" crowds!

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
but I wanted to avoid the "Clones" crowds!
I think you'll find that it might work to your advantage. The Star Wars people will concentrate on SW and probably nothing else. In fact, if I had had a bad experience seeing Episode I at midnight, I would stay away from Episode II for the first extended weekend. However, everyone was respectful and drop-dead quiet during the film. By Saturday or Sunday, I would think you'd be fine to see Insomnia.
I would like to see the original Insomnia before seeing the new one, but I can't buy any more discs and the only Criterion title carried around here in the rental stores is Chasing Amy. :angry:

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Greg - Insomnia is playing on IFC this month, in fact it was on tonight - check your listings it may be on again. I love the first version of Insomnia and can't wait to see what Nolan and Pacino can do. On the other hand, Robin Williams hasn't exactly been riding a hot streak lately - but judging from the previews he looks serious about this role.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, my understanding is that they are playing on the always daytime seasonal aspect of Alaska for the remake to match the original premise.

It looks promising though it is going to be lost in the wake of SM and AOTC.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I taped the original "Insomnia" off of IFC last night. I haven't watched it yet, but it looks great and I can't wait. I'm going to try to look at it soon, and then next week I'm going to see an advance screening of the remake.

I only wish it didn't open on "Clones" weekend! Guess that's counterprogramming, but I wanted to avoid the "Clones" crowds!
"Attack of the Clones" is released on May 16. "Insomnia" is released on May 24, over a week later.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
"Attack of the Clones" is released on May 16. "Insomnia" is released on May 24, over a week later.
Yes, but just like LOTR, there will a goodly number of people who will keep going back to see Clones over and over again. A week later, you are still going to be surrounded by Stormtroopers.

Bruce

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Thanks, Carl -- don't know why I thought "Clones" opened on 5/22. That's a bit better! In any case, I HATE the summer crowds -- the fewer people in the theatre, the better!

BrandonL

Stunt Coordinator
I saw a screening of Insomnia around December time. It wasn't that great. But maybe they fixed what was wrong with it by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks