Insomnia. A remake?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Garrett Lundy, May 7, 2002.

1. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I'm watching TV and run across a 30-second spot for "Insomnia" w/ Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hillary Swank (I didn't see who directed). I was wondering if this was a remake of the swedish movie, currently distributed by The Criterion Company, suprisingly also called Insomnia. The former movie is from the 90's and was directed by Erik sombody (I can't spell his name), and starring several other people who's names are incompatible with my american keyboard.
    At any rate, I was wondering if anybody had high hopes for this movie? I liked the original film, but I never considered it a best-picture quality masterpiece. And I personally believe that they made excellent choices with the new cast (Robin Williams is a killer?!? The devil you say!). But I don't see how they could get the whole "Never gets dark outside" sub-story to an english speaking country. Yup, This is one I'm definetly going to see.[​IMG]

2. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Yes, it's a remake. It's also Christopher Nolan's first movie after Memento so I have very high hopes for this one.

3. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I really liked the original Norwegian version with Stellan Skarsgard.

As for the "always light" factor, this remake takes place in Alaska -- isn't it always daytime there in certain places for half the year or something like that?

In any case, I love Al Pacino and look forward to this. I only wish it didn't open on "Clones" weekend! Guess that's counterprogramming, but I wanted to avoid the "Clones" crowds!

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

5. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

Greg - Insomnia is playing on IFC this month, in fact it was on tonight - check your listings it may be on again. I love the first version of Insomnia and can't wait to see what Nolan and Pacino can do. On the other hand, Robin Williams hasn't exactly been riding a hot streak lately - but judging from the previews he looks serious about this role.

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yes, my understanding is that they are playing on the always daytime seasonal aspect of Alaska for the remake to match the original premise.

It looks promising though it is going to be lost in the wake of SM and AOTC.

7. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I taped the original "Insomnia" off of IFC last night. I haven't watched it yet, but it looks great and I can't wait. I'm going to try to look at it soon, and then next week I'm going to see an advance screening of the remake.

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

9. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S

10. BrandonL

BrandonL Stunt Coordinator

I saw a screening of Insomnia around December time. It wasn't that great. But maybe they fixed what was wrong with it by now.