What's new

Insignia Receiver, who makes it? (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I fully plan on getting the warranty with it. And just as well I won't being using it as a primary receiver for all that long, probably less than 6 months.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Seth just what features do you need? The Insignia might be the best unit for you but there's some very good deals on older used receivers on places like Audiogon, eBay or local pawn shops etc. They'd likely be built better then what you're looking at now. Just another idea to consider...Actually take a look in the For Sale section here as there's a highly regarded Panasonic receiver for that price. They're fairly light being digital so shipping shouldn't be too much.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
What? You're going to get the warranty with it as well?!?

Best Buy must love you :)

Seriously, all the reviews on this thing are awful. One website says 0.06% THD the other says 1%. Guess which one I believe. I'd have a real listen to this thing before buying even if it's just to tie you over until HDMI 1.3. Static every time you adjust volume? Hiss at any level? RCA Analogs pawned off as digital coaxial? No, I'd buy RCA before buying this thing.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
What is the problem with the Red and White RCA jacks being used as Coax digital?

Hiss I can deal with, Humming is another story. Volume changing clicks, I can deal with those as well. I know I could get something from a pawn shop and I have done it many times, I just get tired of scanning the pawn shops sometimes. I will listen to it hard for the first 30 days, if I like it I will keep it and get the warrenty if it is needed. If I don't like it I will just return it, simple as that.:D

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It just seems like a bad idea, I mean if you're buying the warranty you are essentially betting that the unit WILL fail within the warranty period. So why would you purchase a product like that?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This is the cheapest surround receiver that does not seem *built* cheaply that I would advise someone to buy: the Sherwood RD-6500 for $160. But is missing one little feature that some will find glaring: no DTS decoder.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
For $8 more, just get the RD-6105, which has a DTS decoder and it's what I have. I've had it since June and I'm pleased with it. It's $168 after shipping at B&H, and that would be cheaper than getting the Insignia with a service plan.

B&H link

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Actually, the Sherwood Lance linked to is on sale for $136, which is cheaper than the Insignia. If you don't mind the lack of a DTS encoder, go with that one.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Also, considering you can get a Pioneer VSX-516-K for around the same price as the Insignia (+/- $30). Really, you can do much better.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
One of the main reasons I am getting it is to review the unit. I have owned a Sherwood receiver before, and it was very good for the money. It even had DTS decoding. That was actually my first digital receiver.:D

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I had the 516K for 2 short weeks. It sounded good, had some good setup options, etc. BUT, it was noisy - lots of junk was sent through the speakers. Each time I would make a change to the settings, I could hear the clicking, etc. through the speakers. Some of the sounds I could hear from 9 feet away. I returned it as it was going to be a second receiver. Instead, I picked up the Elite 80TXv, which is dead silent.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Chris, John, you will be happy to know that this receiver really bites.:D

I am making a new thread for the review.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Sorry to hear it :frowning:

Part of me was hoping it would be the find of the century. The pessimist in me knew that this wouldn't be it considering the conflicting literature.

Looking forward to reading the review just as soon as you return it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks