What's new

Inside Mill Creek's new Magnum, P.I. all-in-one Blu (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yes, it has the correct, original broadcast theme, but it's broken up into two parts. I had it in my DVD player last night because I was checking some scenes.
Well damn you're right. But....

It's only split in 2 parts as in the second half is presented as a separate episode. But there's no "to be continued" with credits at the end of part 2 or the start or part 2. They just split the two halves, it's not the syndicated version. If you "play all" it runs as a single episode which is why I didn't think it was in 2 parts.

So there shouldn't be anything missing.

The Mill Creek seems to be the syndicated edit.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Well damn you're right. But....

It's only split in 2 parts as in the second half is presented as a separate episode. But there's no "to be continued" with credits at the end of part 2 or the start or part 2.

End of part 1, you mean?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I recieved the Fabulous Films Blu Ray of Magnum P.I. today. I paid a little extra and Amazon used DHL delivery in two days. This thread got me really curious to check it out. it’s kind of funny or absurd, an American TV series that is made into a blu ray set by a UK company, which sells it to a buyer in the US.

At any rate, I was really curious to check it out. I only checked out the first disc in the season 1 box. Since this is a region 2 disc, my only way to watch it is to convert the disc with MakeMKV into files I can view via Plex. The pilot is indeed a single 1 hour 33 minutes long episode. With the titles correct music, “because fate just wouldn’t do that to me.”

I have not watched the episodes fully yet. Just checked the pilot and took a couple of screen caps for comparison. The images are a bit grainy as many have complained about. But I think it’s fine.

Universal DVD:
China Doll DVD.png

FF Blu Ray:
China Doll BD.png

The Blu ray is noticeably sharper. I plan to watch on my new OLED and see how this looks.

There are no subtitles functionality. I have not taken the time to determine the audio type being used yet. It sounds fine. I read on the Magnum-mania forum that the region 1 dvd has a serious audio synch issue in a section of China Doll. But the UK blu ray Is fine. it’s in the graveyard segment as Magnum is stalking the Tong assassin. I’ll see what that’s like.

Also funny, I was going to start ripping this series for my Plex library and I didn’t get very far. Glad I waited a bit as I didn’t plan to upgrade to blu ray since there were no US blu rays until the Mill Creek release. But this Mill Creek situation made me decide to go for the FF version.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the Likes guys. You’ll have to excuse me as I’ve never used that for others threads.

I watched Don’t Eat the Snow in Hawaii on the FF blu ray. It struck me that it’s got that 1980’s look for sure where I mean that the cinematography can have that gauzy look. While the image is sharp, there is a softness too if you know what I mean. It’s more apparent in the higher resolution where as the DVDs could just look soft from the lower resolution.

I always liked the pilot film. It solidly set the premise up and the main characters are well established. Except Rick/Orville, who is revamped during the series. And I liked the complexity of the case Magnum solves.

I also checked the opening of China Doll, the next episode. Of course as expected, it retains its original opening titles music.

I’m glad I made the investment. Its not going to look like a modern series, it’s a product of the 1980’s. I’m not sure about the extras in the set, the box says the Murder She Wrote crossover episode is included. I guess the Simon And Simon episode is not. Overall it looks great from the pilot and parts of the second episode I’ve seen. And it matches my memories of watching it as a kid on an ancient CRT TV. I’m sure as I watch more, my impressions may change.

It’s been a while since I’ve done a Magnum watch. So I’ll see if I can add it to the mix. I recall a lot of good episodes coming up and some notable guest actresses. As I said on the TV Shows on DVD and Blu Ray thread, too many shows and so little time.

If you can watch a Region 2/B whatever it’s called blu ray, I think it’s very much worth the effort and investment. It’s too bad there are no subtitles, but hopefully that is not a problem. I’ll be returning the un-opened Mill Creek set.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Thanks for the Likes guys. You’ll have to excuse me as I’ve never used that for others threads.

I watched Don’t Eat the Snow in Hawaii on the FF blu ray. It struck me that it’s got that 1980’s look for sure where I mean that the cinematography can have that gauzy look. While the image is sharp, there is a softness too if you know what I mean. It’s more apparent in the higher resolution where as the DVDs could just look soft from the lower resolution.

I always liked the pilot film. It solidly set the premise up and the main characters are well established. Except Rick/Orville, who is revamped during the series. And I liked the complexity of the case Magnum solves.

I also checked the opening of China Doll, the next episode. Of course as expected, it retains its original opening titles music.

I’m glad I made the investment. Its not going to look like a modern series, it’s a product of the 1980’s. I’m not sure about the extras in the set, the box says the Murder She Wrote crossover episode is included. I guess the Simon And Simon episode is not. Overall it looks great from the pilot and parts of the second episode I’ve seen. And it matches my memories of watching it as a kid on an ancient CRT TV. I’m sure as I watch more, my impressions may change.

It’s been a while since I’ve done a Magnum watch. So I’ll see if I can add it to the mix. I recall a lot of good episodes coming up and some notable guest actresses. As I said on the TV Shows on DVD and Blu Ray thread, too many shows and so little time.

If you can watch a Region 2/B whatever it’s called blu ray, I think it’s very much worth the effort and investment. It’s too bad there are no subtitles, but hopefully that is not a problem. I’ll be returning the un-opened Mill Creek set.
Thanks for the review! Sounds like a good buy. Are you sure you want to return the Mill Creek set without even taking a peak? I'd be mighty curious to see how the image quality compares.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Stephen, I am tempted to open the Mill Creek set and see how it looks. It would be interesting to do an A-B comparison. But I don’t know if I’ll ever watch the Mill Creek set if I kept it.

My reasons for going with the Fabulous Films release is that it contains the pilot in its original aired version. The Mill Creek has the version of the pilot that is altered, the titles music is replaced with the later Mike Post version. And the original titles are edited out. Plus it’s split into two parts. So I didn’t want to own it. I have a few days to mull.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Stephen, I am tempted to open the Mill Creek set and see how it looks. It would be interesting to do an A-B comparison. But I don’t know if I’ll ever watch the Mill Creek set if I kept it.

My reasons for going with the Fabulous Films release is that it contains the pilot in its original aired version. The Mill Creek has the version of the pilot that is altered, the titles music is replaced with the later Mike Post version. And the original titles are edited out. Plus it’s split into two parts. So I didn’t want to own it. I have a few days to mull.
Sure, that all makes sense. I was thinking that if you got the Mill Creek set from Amazon, they would probably accept a return even if it were opened, so it wouldn't hurt to take a peek. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't recall if there are restrictions on media returns.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sure, I think Amazon would accept a return. I could say it didn’t meet my expectations, which is true.

I’m thinking it would be nicer of me to return it unopened for another customer to enjoy brand new. :)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I’m seriously considering picking up the Fabulous Films UK release of Magnum PI to get the original broadcast version of the pilot. If it indeed does have the pilot and the two hour episodes intact. Does anyone know? I’m not a super fan of the series but I hate to see that a high def release of a series is not in its original version. So it might be worth the effort to chase a copy down.
Currently the Fabulous Films version is only available from 3rd parties at Amazon.co.uk but it is available to order from Amazon.com. There are currently 7 sets available from Amazon Global Store UK on the US Amazon website.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, there were 11 copies when I placed my order. I wanted to act fast before they ran out of copies!

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Tom Selleck was great in 2 episodes of The Rockford Files. before Magnum PI.Good interplay between him and James Garner.Very witty and entertaining.Lance White is such a great character.I would have had the 2 costar in the show together if they would have been willing.Which at least Jim would have not.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I guess I'll be waiting for a restock or check out an other seller. I wasn't quite ready to drop the money on the FF set.
It's still available to purchase right now through Amazon. They just don't keep a lot of copies in stock at one time. Plus I think it is a tactic to try to pressure consumers to purchase.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I see there are 6 copies at Amazon right now. There’s a used copy for $130 from another seller on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks