What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Of course, "You're Gonna Hear from Me" wasn't even nominated for Best Song, but you're right that "The Shadow of Your Smile" did win that year. I think it and "New, York, New York" are among the greatest songs that weren't even in the running for the Best Song Oscar. (Neither were any of the songs from Saturday Night Fever.)

noel aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Wow - what a great review. Thank you Matt.
This was never one of my favorite films but your review is swaying me to buy it on it’s technical merits alone. Question- is this film considered a musical or a drama w music like Pete Kelly’s Blues?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wow - what a great review. Thank you Matt.
This was never one of my favorite films but your review is swaying me to buy it on it’s technical merits alone. Question- is this film considered a musical or a drama w music like Pete Kelly’s Blues?
I'd say definitely a drama with music. There are only three numbers, all performed for film to show Daisy's on-screen persona.

Real Name
William D. Ferry
The dubbing list is fascinating. Some observations:
1. Boy, Marni Nixon was busy!
2. THE BENNY GOODMAN STORY (1955): Manny Klein for Ziggy Elman (trumpet) - wait, what?!? Ziggy played the fralich-style solo on "And the Angels Sing" (with BG and also his own band). Manny Klein was a boss trumpeter, too, but why did he need to dub Ziggy?
3. WONDERS OF WOMEN (1929): Russ Columbo for Lewis Stone - this is the funniest one, IMHO.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
You can put it on Blu-ray but it still stinks on so many levels.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I've always thought of this as a Hollywood Horror film. Not a criticism. I love the film, and especially Natalie in it. Redford never looked better, and Gordon never performed better (well maybe in "Harold and Maude"). Although shortcuts had to be taken, what is going on seems clear enough to me. I especially like the ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruavain
Recent bookmarks