Inserts vs. Sleeves

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Malcolm R, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It seems like a few months ago many were lamenting the demise of the DVD insert, which most feel was eliminated as a cost-savings measure by the studios.

Yet now, the new trend seems to be to release every new major title with a laminated, metallic-embossed outer cardboard sleeve over the keepcase. You can't tell me that basic inserts cost more than these fancy sleeves.

At least the inserts provided some useful or interesting information regarding chapter lists, production notes, and/or cast lists. The vast majority of these sleeves seem to merely replicate the keepcase cover.

Since they are basically redundant, and an extra piece of material to deal with when trying to get to the actual DVD, do most HTFers throw out the sleeves or keep them? I'm on the verge of just tossing them in the trash when I get them home since I have several instances of the sleeve lying in one place and the keepcase is in another. It's just extra clutter in my home that I really don't need.

Not environmentally-friendly either, I'd imagine, all that laminated, metallic cardboard being tossing them in the trash. At least the inserts would generally stay inside the keepcase, out of sight and out of the landfill.

Bottom line, I'd rather they take the money they're spending on sleeves and give us back nice informative inserts.

[​IMG] to the sleeve trend.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Here's one vote for inserts.

While 99% of the time I find I just watch a movie from start to finish...there are those other times when I want to watch a particular scene or section. And, without an insert its a much longer guess to try and figure out its location...especially if you've got a complicated menu on the disc.

[old man voice]I remember in the old days[/old man voice] buying an occasional record album where the only place the tracks were listed was on the label. Didn't make things too easy...

Fancy sleeves are useless...especially since I've been converting all my DVDs into slim cases. [​IMG]

3. jason:g

jason:g Stunt Coordinator

I like the jackets better than more information printed on inserts. So I vote [​IMG] for the unnecessary and useless sleeves.

However, I would prefer to have both.

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Depends on how the sleeve is handled. I liked the Bad Boys II sleeve, as the artwork on the case itself differed and was quite nice. But with Ray, it just gave me something to put for fingerprinting purposes.

5. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I keep them because they are perhaps somewhat collectable-usually by the second or third runs of a title, they are dropped.

Sometimes the cover art is a bit more elaborate or complex, with embossing, textured covers, etc.

And I wish inserts were still included.

6. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I don't think we need either, but if I had to pick one that I'd get rid of first, it would be the outer cardboard box. The insert is more important if they're going to include only one or the other.

7. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

The sleeves also serve as a security device, making it impossible to disctreetly pry open a case in-store, stealing the disc inside. That may explain why it can be cost effective to have them.

While I appreciate an insert for a chapter list, it is something I can live without.

-Scott

8. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

So yet another layer of security? I bought "Predator 2" which comes with a keepcase inserted in a sleeve. The keepcase was also wrapped and had the usual security seals on all the seams of the case. To make matters worse, the price tag was stuck right on the cardboard slipcase with some pretty stong glue. Unless, God forbid, they glue the keepcase into the sleeve, I don't see any security added. The only value of the sleeve is for the artwork and that, in this case, it matches the original "Predator".

9. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

As far as I'm concerned they can scribble the name of the movie on the disc with a magic marker and stuff it in a generic plastic sleeve.

What I want are $5 new releases.

10. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    While I like both inserts and sleeves, I have to say that I prefer the inserts.

The sleeves (while sometimes nice, such as on the above-mentioned Bad Boys 2) are fairly superfluous. On top of that, if the sleeve has a price tag that doesn't come off easily on it, tags or glue residue are extremely unsightly.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I hate it when the sleeves have the store's price sticker on them, and it's virtually impossible to remove the sticker without ruining the sleeve (never got around to seeing it goo-gone works on the sleeves). Plus, fingerprints/smearing can be a problem. And if a new release does come with a sleeve, I will (OCD, I know) look for the sleeve in the best condition as possible. I can't help it.

12. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Funny thing is, several of the later WB titles that have sleeves (Malcolm X and Chariots Of Fire come to mind), seem to only have sleeves in some stores. Most of the ones I saw at Wal-Mart had them, but the ones at Best Buy didn't. Weird.

13. Colby

Colby Stunt Coordinator

Colby
    I'll take inserts over slipcovers any day. I've found chapter listings on inserts to be useful on many occassions. On the other hand, I've never found any good use for slipcovers. If it's something special (like the metal T2 covers), that's cool. But this cardboard nonsense is about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop.

14. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

I really don't care any longer.

#1. I make my own "info-booklets", custom made to include the info I choose while re-searching, including tidbits of info and write-ups from a few of my fave and trusted film fans. I do this when it's a bare bones release, or when all the dvd comes with is a waste-of-space one-sheet chapter stop.

#2. Most of my almost 1,900 titles are fitted with re-sealable plastic sleeves. Many have to be custom made to fit dvds with outer slip covers....so I usually pass and just use that cover for a little added protection.

15. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

speaking of security, ive seen a few Universal titles which come in a keepcase that has bend-out twisties-ie: the whole case is literally 'locked" in the plastic Amaray until you pop out the tabs, and twist them off-when shrinkwrapped, they are virtually unopenable in any sort of discreet way.

16. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Put me down for inserts, unless of course they start putting chapter listings on the sleeve.

Personally, the loss of chapter stops was a big one for me. I often put in a movie to watch a couple of highlights, and it made it so easy. Granted, most DVDs have a chapter listing in the menus, but nearly all of these are cumbersome, and time consuming to navigate. They often have only 4-6 chapters per page, and each page requires you to navigate down to the next page icon and then select the right-arrow. You could easily spend 5 minutes just navigating these damn menus to find the scene that you want, especially if there are numerous chapters stops.

If I had the time, I'd make custom chapter inserts for each disc, but I don't have the time to watch the movies as it is, let alone spend time making more documentation for them.

17. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

The lesser of two evils...

Some, like Artisan's T2 Ultimate Edition and Pioneer's Akira SE, have really cool metal covers/cases that look awesome. Artisan's T2 Extreme Edition, on the other hand, had one of the worst sleeve covers ever. While the concept of the metal cover was cool, the difficulty came in trying to get the damn thing off the DVD, causing a rip in the DVD case. I eventually had to request a new DVD cover from Artisan and wound up chunking the metal cover altogether.

I like some of the DVD insert booklets because of the information included that's not on the discs themselves. While I can understand Paramount's decision to stop including inserts in their DVD releases, and in most cases it's merely superfluous (and I have to include Columbia Tri-Star's Spider-Man 2 release as another major example), some like the 2-disc Star Trek: TMP have good liner notes that are exclusive to the insert (Robert Wise's introduction to the DVD).

18. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

I throw the sleeves out.

I saved a few Disney ones and was thinking about seeing what they might fetch on EBay. ButI see absolutely no point in keeping them.

19. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Sleeves are worthless but I keep 'em. It's just something else to become old and torn as age sets in. Plus it can have an albeit small effect on storage. I wish they would just do away with them completely. And I doubt they will have any collector's value.