What's new

Insane RC Helicopter....is it real? (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I did a search and didn't see anyone post this so sorry if it is a repost.

Check out this video. (right click, Save as)

Some of that just defy's the laws of physics...right?

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Amazing stuff ! Thanks for the link. Would love to see an Apache do a similar performance, but me thinks there may be a slight thrust-to-weight ratio problem....

Chris Derby

Second Unit
i initially thought it was CG until the closeup.. then i did a little research on the pilot. pretty effin neat.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
I can tell you that it is real. I also do RC flight as another one of my hobbies. I was given a RC gas plane one year for Christmas and go and fly it every now and then. There was a guy out there with his RC copter and I have never seen anything like it. He was doing all kinds of aerial maneuvers like the ones on that video. I thought to myself, man I want one of the copters for myself till I saw how expensive those things are. Not too mention the first time you crash, the medical expenses that will occur from my heart attack after the crash.

I have banged up my plane on a few landings:angry:, but a plane is much easier to fix than one of those helicopters, unless you do a complete nose dive into the ground and then it is just all over.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
I thought it was going to be of the ~12' RC copter
they use in Japan for fertalizing their commercial
garderns & such.

They can lift a 65# payload & have a 21hp Yamaha
motor.....start at $86,000.00 for a "no frills"
model, all the way up to ~$1,000,000.00.

Supposedly been in production since 1988.

I used to have an RC glider....it had about a 5'
wingspan.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I saw a simular RC chopper at a local R/C flyin and it was flying a lot like that one. I'm too stupid to know details that make a difference but it was really neat too. The guy that flew it/owned it was also an crop duster with an AgCat Turbine Air Tractor. I suspect he was pretty well heeled.

Hmm You can buy a real JetRanger (older one anyway) for a million. Of course that doesn't include school, operating costs (insurance, maint., fuel, etc). ;)

Scott Littlefield

Stunt Coordinator
Certainly that thing defies the laws of physics. How is the helicopter able to hover vertically? There isn't any lift. Or upside down? When it's inverted shouldn't the "lift" pull it into the ground?

It also seems to me that, in spite of all of the crazy maneuvering that thing was doing, the cameraman was able to follow its movements a little too perfectly. It would fly away at a seemingly random angle, and incredibly fast, but the camera was able to keep it centered almost constantly.

And at the very end one of the guys walks up to the landed craft and seems to stand inside of the spinning rotor.

I'd have to vote for this being fake. Impressively done, but still fake.

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Inverted flight is possible with RC helicoptors. The rotor blades are inverted as well, so the lift is produced in the proper direction when upside down.

Secondly, vertical hovering is possible by pitching the axis of rotation on the main rotor blades...the same way to move the helicopter forward.

That's why they make 9-10 channel radios with built in functions to take care of things like inverting the blades.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Not fake. The guy is not standing inside the rotor, he's leaning over it to stop them. The pilot is pretty well known in RC circles, I've been told, and he IS that good.

Scott Littlefield

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, a little more digging on Google and, sure enough, this guy is known for this type of flying. Most impressive.

And that's quite a little toy he's got there. Obviously he wouldn't be able to do his thing if the machine wasn't capable of it. It's certainly much nicer than the "balsa wood and rubber band" model I had as a kid.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Would make a great small weapon!

I just wish he would have flown semi-normal for a minute or two!

Brent

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
So the concensus is that this is real eh. That just boggles my mind. The amount of control this guy has is beyond what most can even dream about. His chopper looks like a dragonfly most of the time. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Exactly what I thought with the first couple of manouvers he did. :eek: Just amazing.

PhillJones

Second Unit
Very cool and very clever.

Some of the stuff looks impossible because your brain assumes that the force or thrust must be in the direction of travel. This isn't true. eg, for an obect moving in a circle, the force is at right angles to the direction of travel at any given time. Some of his tricks make use of this fact to make it look like the 'copter is moving in impossible ways. It's all to do with the fact that your brain isn't very good at perceiving acceleration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks