Inputting Stereo Signals to Mono Speaker Setup? Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Jul 9, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I want to go ahead and setup my outdoor speaker system. Since there would be no good location to set up the two speakers in stereo, I want to run them both as mono. The input for this amp(not yet purchased), will come from the multi-room preamp stereo outputs of my Denon 3801 receiver. How can I combine the left and right signals into one mono signal and then output them from an amps two channels? I also am wondering what amp(or how good of an amp)I need to drive a pair of JBL N26AW speakers in mono? Is there an inexpensive pro amp which will do the trick in this application?
    Thanks for your help!
    Take Care,
  2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

3. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

Jun 30, 2001
    If I understand what you want to do, you want to take the left and right low level outputs (pre-amp), combine them to mono, and input the mono sum to a power amp for your outdoor speakers. I would use a Radio Design Labs STD-10K to combine the stereo to mono on the A and B inputs, then use C and D to input the mono signal to both channels of your amp. Of course, you can build the same network for a lot less money, but you can't beat the RDL convenience. Check out the STD Series Divider/Combiner for the specific module, or Radio Design Labs for their home page.
    Jeff Loughridge
    Director of Engineering
    Infinity Broadcasting Corp
    [email protected]
    [Edited last by Jeff Loughridge on July 10, 2001 at 07:56 AM]
    [Edited last by Jeff Loughridge on July 10, 2001 at 07:57 AM]