What's new

Input requested on Epson TW100 (1 Viewer)

RobS

Auditioning
This is my first posting (just joined yesterday). I'm in the process of purchasing a new front projector for my home theater (just being finished). My price range is 3K-4K. After monitoring periodicals, i.e. Home Theater and Guide to Home Theater, I could not find a projector which beat the TW100 specs. Any input on this projector, or suggested alternatives is appreciated.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph

RobS

Auditioning
Thank you Neil for the input. I'll be reviewing the projectors/links you provided tonight. BTW - I have a question about the DVI interface. I noticed that some do not specify support for HDCP. Are there any external devices which will enable support of copy protected viewing (legally) for DVI without HDCP? I am concerned that without HDCP I will not be able to view purchased/rented media (i.e. DVD's). What are the limitations without this capability?

pradike

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Rob:

Its me again...noticed you were tracking down more info on DVI cabling and related info on projectors.

At the end of the day, what DVI brings you will be the ability to see the optimum digital image from your projector. This becomes very important as we all move forward into a world of HDTV and 16:9 widescreen...which will be the standard in another 24 months or so.

A number of publications are saying this will be the year HDTV comes of age, and moves into hypersales.

Anyway, I got the DVI-I cable with my Marantz DLP projector. I got DLP because I wanted the best color and contrast possible - all key elements in the HDTV world as well.

There are some newer LCD projectors coming out with improved contrast, including the ones you discussed last week. Please keep in mind, however, there is a reason why the good DLPs cost $3500-$5000 more than the good LCDs - much of it has to do with image quality, lack of digital signal conversion (straight digital via DVI), and contrast. Mine happens to tout 2600:1 contrast, but the truth be told....virtually no manufacturer has hard evidence to support their claims, so you have to rely on how much you believe the manufacture you are dealing with.

More important - trust your own eyes - see if you can see the projector you have in mind - and don't forget that the screen has a secondary, but very important impact as well. Either Da-Lite or Stewart screens are excellent, but even they make several kinds - impacting glare and brightness gain. In a nutshell, if you have no ambient light (like a true theater), you'll want the 1.5 gain from those model screens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks