Input needed on NetFlix.Com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I'm thinking of scrapping Blockbuster and going with these guys. Please give me your opinion on Netflix...

Do you get the DVDs you want?

Do they arrive on a timely basis?

Do they have a good collection of DVDs?

What do you like or dislike?

Is it a bargain for $20 per month?

Etc.

Thanks.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'll answer in order...

Most of the time. You do a queue, and you simply get the next disc listed in your queue *that's available*. I've been with them for almost 5 months. And I've gotten maybe close to 15 discs from them. Only once did I not get the next discs in my queue. But then next time I did.

Definately yes. Netflix is in SJ, CA. I live maybe 10 miles from there. I pop a disc in the mail Mon. They have it by Tues. I have the next disc in my queue in my hands sometimes by Wed, definately by Thurs. I have even gone so far as to "set up" a specific disc I would want for a following weekend.

They are actually viewed as having one of the best selection anywhere. (You can go cruise their site for free.) And I enjoy some pretty eclectic stuff.

The only thing I dislike, is that I don't use it as much as I thought. Still, I think, way more convenient than trudging down to my neighborhood Hollywood Video, and getting to pick over what everyone else has left behind.

Plus, I personally refuse to got to Blockbuster. At least as of a few years ago, they refused to carry unrated director's cuts because it was "anti-family". Don't know if you knew that. And I don't know (or care) if they still don't. They lost my business for good. Plus, I have found that Blockbuster carries 50 million copies of the recently released stuff, but zip, zero, zilch copies of older stuff I'd look for.

Be aware, NetFLix does have a $13/month version where you get 2 discs in your possession at all times, vs the $20 for 3. I vowed I'd go for 6 months at $20, but I'll probably be switching to the $13 rate.

Bottom line, the convenience and selection are hard to beat.

3. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Welcome to the forum Drew! I'm sure this thread will be moved as it doesn't belong in the receivers forum [​IMG]
    Kevin pretty much has answered your questions but I'd just like to add (after being with Netflix for over 2 years) that a lot of times title would be out of stock -- almost indefinitely. Some of those may be out of print other may be in low inventory, but be prepared that sometimes you'd be waiting for months. The first 25 or so movies in my queue are out of stock right now.
    Most of the time once they release the movie to their shipping department it goes out the same day. Sometimes it sits there for two or three.
    In general, if you're close to them geographically, you're getting your money's worth. As for the East coast -- not so sure, I heard a lot of complaints from my buddies back East who cancelled their membership.
    I believe they are running a one month free trial membership if you want to just try them out. Remember to add a lot of movies to your queue.

4. JesseR

JesseR Stunt Coordinator

My father is a member on the east coast and has had pretty good luck with them...I dont think its ever taken more than a week from the time he sends one back till he gets the next. Most of his movies are in stock pretty quick

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I live on the east coast and have the $30 a month...5 out at a time membership. I love it, have no problems getting my selections and totally enjoy not having to drive to Blockbuster or pay late fees. Highly recommended. It takes about 3 days for them to get back to Netflix. That's why I have the 5 out at a time membership. when I was on the $20 a month one...sometimes all three titles would be in the mail at the same time. This way I always have something at home to watch.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have two friends that use them and absolutely love them.

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Netflix is awsome. I've been a member since before they went with the unlimited plan. Being a charter member I get 4 movies for $20 (used to be $15, but they upped it to match everyone else in price). They have distribution centers on the east and west coast and I just recently noticed some movies coming from Houston, TX. Grab one of those free month things and give it a shot. Most I ever went through was 8 in a month. Now I average about 4 or 5, but not having to get up and drive to return a movie and being able to keep it as long as I want is awesome. A friend of mine had one out for many months. So long that it went past a postage rate change [​IMG]

8. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

I used Netflix when I lived in California and it was pretty good overall, but now I live in KY so I'm using RentMyDVD.com as they have a NJ distribution center. I'm very happy with them and since you're in Minneapolis you might find them better as well since they're a little closer.

I pay about $25 or $30 a month and usually watch about 10 DVD's per. I could watch many more given the mailing time from here, but that seems to be about as many as I can usually squeeze in. It's a very good value for me.

9. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Thanks Mike, I didn't realize that Netflix has more than one distribution center now. Now I know what to do if RentMyDVD.com starts to fail me!

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

11. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Wow, thanks for all the info guys. Apologies for the wrong HTF section...there are so many sections now that I get lost sometimes :b

I'll definitely try the free trial month from Netflix...and I'll also look into rentmydvd.

12. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I've been using Netflix for 2 years with the "Marquee" program (basically, the only program they offer now) and used them before when you could rent them 'one off'.

It's gotten MUCH MUCH better lately. I read somewhere else that there might be a Seattle distribution center - not sure though. Whatever they did, the shipping is much better. At one time, I had 50 or so in my queue and 42 of them out of stock/long wait. Today - 42 in the queue and only one on 'short wait'. MUCH better.

give em a try. My only complaint is a spotty collection at times - I'll be wanting to see a series of anime (for example) and the next in the series isn't carried by them (for example.) Other than that, no complaints recently.

13. JoelBdeau

JoelBdeau Extra

I have had netfix for about a year and a half and I love it. They just opened a distribution center in worcester, ma so my cycle time is about 2-3 days. (Time from dropping one in the mail and getting the next on my queue)

I like the fact that I don't have to pay late fees. I can hold on to a good movie for as long as I want.

Did you know Blockbuster gets 35% of their profits from late fees?

14. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Joel,

Do you have more info on there centers, or is San Jose, CA and Worcester, MA all of them?

15. Ian Jordan

Ian Jordan Auditioning

I haven't been able to find where all the dist centers are, but I have started getting movies from Tacoma, WA (I live in Seattle and Tacoma is only 30 minutes away).

So far I have heard of Tacoma, WA, San Jose, CA, Houston, TX, and Worchester, MA. Pretty good distribution- The great lakes reigon is the only area I can think of now that I haven't heard of a close by center for yet. I wouldn't be suprised if there is a center in Ohio/Indinana/Illinois somewhere.

I can't believe they don't advertise the new distribution centers more! My delivery time went from 4 days to 1. That's a big advantage!

16. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I'm not sure, in South Florida, I guess either Texas or Mass. would be the best, probably pretty similar time wise.

I wonder how they work it as to what movie you get from where. For example, if CADENCE is top on your list and the closest one doesn't have it, do they send it from another center or do you have to wait until it's available at 'your' designated center?

17. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I wonder what the turnaround time would be for Minnesota?

18. Doug Krenik

Doug Krenik Auditioning

Hi,

I live in southern MN in the Mankato area. Looking on the Netflix site I see that it is about 7-10 days (depending if its over a weekend) from the time they ship it to when they get it back. We try and watch the movies the first or second evening after we get them. We've been averaging about 10-12 movies per month on the 4 out plan.

Doug

19. Ian Jordan

Ian Jordan Auditioning

Three more I know of now. The total list is:

San Jose, CA

Tacoma, WA

Denver, CO

Houston, TX

Minneapolis, MN

Worchester, MA

Flusing, NY

So MN is pretty well covered. Only area I haven't heard of is near GA/FL.

20. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i live in chicago.

Do you get the DVDs you want?

95 percent of the time, yes. i never got a few old jackie chan movies.

Do they arrive on a timely basis?

yes. i have been their customer since last december. only one movie arrived 2 days late so far.

Do they have a good collection of DVDs?

90 percent of the time, yes. i couldnt find akira kurosawa's the hidden fortress though.

What do you like or dislike?

i want them to have an office in chicago so that it wont take the disc 3-4 days to get to my place. customer service? so far i dont have any complaint. my wife mistakenly sent virtua fighter 4 back instead of spy game, and they sent it back to me. no problemo.

Is it a bargain for $20 per month?

yes, just compare it to blockbuster. last december, i got 10 movies in a month, with 3 disc plan ( 20 bucks ). but that was because when i got the movie, i watched it, and send it back on the same day. i know not everyone could do that. these days i use 2 disc plan, only 14 bucks, and got about 5 movie per month. still cheaper than blockbuster.