1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Input Level Controls(+/- gain)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I posted this question in a response to Greg review of his amp and feel that it may get lost so a seperate question maybe needed.

As far as gain levels go I have a Rotel RMB-1066 that has Input Level Controls for each pair of channels to increase/decrease the gain of the amplifiers. Now I have never played around with them but since Greg said:

2. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Kevin,

The rule of thumb for all amps that have input level controls is to set them to full throttle regardless if the amp is THX certified or not. Once you have the amp's gain set to full you then use your receivers level controls to balance out the sound.

Where do you have your settings on your amp now?

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Greg,

Currently the gain controls are set as they were when they came out of the factory. I e-mailed Rotel for more of an explination and all they said was to read the manual. I guess turning them clockwise is (+) and counter (-)?

Kevin

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I agree with Greg. In general, it's usually best to leave input level controls at their maximum. That's where the manufacturer's power output specs are quoted from.

You may still wonder why they are there at all. Well a couple of uses come to mind...

1st, to allow other amps of different gain levels to be used together. If you have one amp with a 29 volt gain and another with a 27 volt gain, you could lower the 29 "volter" to 27 volts (as long as it has the level controls of course.)

2nd, you can use the controls in lieu of the ones on your pre-amp to balance your speaker levels. An example would be in my setup. I run an Outlaw ICBM between my receiver (used as a pre-amp) and my 5 channel amp. If I change the input levels using my receiver, I end up with different bass levels for the different channels. To avoid this, I turn the louder speakers levels down at the amp to the level of the lowest speakers. I end up with balanced levels and balanced bass.