input appreciated

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jimi, May 21, 2003.

1. Jimi

Jimi Auditioning

Hi there,

Just wondering what are peoples preferrences with setting up the sound of your speakers.

Do you set the surround(back) speakers db higher than the front?
    IS the center speaker the same db as the front l/r?
    IS the sub kicked up high?

If you don't mind please to explain why personally you prefer your settings.

Thanx everyone

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    My personal preference is to set them up using a calibration disk like AVIA and Video Essentials with the aid of a sound level meter. But without these tools, I always tried to do the test tones generated by the receiver then set them up so the levels sounded around the same volume.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Calibrate to reference with a Radio Shack SPL meter and Avia or Video Essentials DVD. It's not a random preference thing when it comes to calibrating a home theater. Once properly calibrated, though, sometimes a little tweaking of the sub by a couple dB is in order. This is no longer at reference, but may be more pleasing to you.

4. Jimi

Jimi Auditioning

Where can I find this 'calibration disk'? So, it's not a matter of just turning up the db here and there, I figured there was a science to it, but holy cow [​IMG])

5. Clark F

Clark F Agent

I ordered mine from Amazon

6. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I use the Sound&Vision Magazine Home Theater Tune-up Disc. Got it at MediaPlay for around $15. The disc is made by Ovation, same folks that make the Avia disk. There are differences but the S&V disc worked fine for me. Make sure that you have your owner's manual in hand when calibrating , and make sure you spend a few minutes reading the instructions for the SPL meter before starting, it helps to have a basic understanding of the meters capabilities.

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Video Essentials seems hardly available anymore on line. you will have to look around for that one (used to be around $45 - $50).

Here's a link for Avia Guide To Home Theater for only $35.43. But that's online, so see if you can avoid the shipping costs at a store near by.

Good luck!

Cees

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, it basically only is getting the dB equal for all channels, but there is no way to do this without an SPL meter from radio shack. You can attempt to do it by ear, which is better than nothing, but a real calibration is easy, only takes a few minutes, and is a VERY important investment. You can buy the analog one for like $35-40 so, I forget the exact price, or borrow one from someone. While you CAN use the internal test tones on your receiver along with an SPL meter, I always recommend getting Avia or VE, because they have much more in-depth calibration tones and test tones, along with video calibration which is even more important. I have Avia, and it is a great all around disc. It has some begginner explanations, and there are videos that explain how to use each video test pattern and what you're doing. For the test tones, there are text displays of how to use each basic tone, and the disc also has more advanced calibration tools should you ever need them in the future. Getting an SPL meter and a calibration DVD is essential for both picture and sound. It's the best-spent $80 in your home theater.