What's new

INNERSPACE - Various Problems :-( (1 Viewer)

DarrenA

Second Unit
I don't understand this. How can a loose chip cause crackling on only 1 DVD title out of the over 250 titles that I own? I would buy the loose chip theory if it happened on all of my DVDs, but it only happens on one title. And I duplicated this crackling on a Denon 3300 receiver as well.

Edwin_M

Agent
It's not a receiver problem. I tried it on three different players with three different sound systems got the crackling on all of them.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
In any case, it sounds as if someone forgot the dialogue normalisation when they were mixing the 5.1 track for Innerspace, so the theatrical treble boost on the dialogue channel has remained. And it's led to that crackly, harsh sounding effect on the centre in the final mix, I guess.
Dialog Normalization has nothing to do with high frequency attenuation or re-equalisation of any kind. It simply attenuates the overall volume of the soundtrack.

Some people simply don't seem to notice the sort of distortion described above, which is present in numerous soundtracks. I have listened to systems belonging to those who claim not to hear it and have always heard it without any difficulty.

Adam

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Some people simply don't seem to notice the sort of distortion described above, which is present in numerous soundtracks. I have listened to systems belonging to those who claim not to hear it and have always heard it without any difficulty.
The question is what, if anything, can we do about it? Can the fault be spotted and corrected at the mastering stage or is there no way to correct it?

I'm slightly worried about WB's forthcoming Gremlins, Gremlins 2, The Swarm, Firefox, etc... will they all be plagued with the same fault?

Oh and I'm delighted that at least ONE expert has no spotted this. How do these things continue to go unnoticed by the so-called reviewers at DVD File, The Digital Bits, etc?

John

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Ok, I'd like to do some careful listening to see if I can hear even a small part of this. Does anyone have a chapter or time code where this crackling happens?

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

Oops. Exposed for the amateur that I am. Still, you can't win 'em all. Thanks for the info.

Edwin_M

Agent
A good scene to listen for the crackling is chapter 2 where Dennis Quaid does his drunken speech at the party.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well, I just played this for a SECOND TIME last night, and it was FLAWLESS. Not one problem!

Sean Oakley

Auditioning
Edwin, Darren, John

I don't have the Innerspace disc yet but my system does exhibit this same problem with the Superman SE. There have been a couple of others too but Superman is by far the worst that I have come across on my Onkyo THX receiver and Mirage centre speaker. The entire film, when played at reference volume level has clicking and crackling in almost every line of dialogue and is especially bad in all the scenes on Krypton.

My friend also has the same disc and it does crackle on his system also.

Another disc that comes to mind is Rules Of Engagement that has the same symptoms on my system and that's a Paramount disc so Warner is not the only one to worry about.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Now that is weird. I watched Superman SE twice this weekend, my kid is on a super hero kick. Got all the Batman movies and Superman 2 on order now. Anyway, I had no crackling on the two viewings of Superman. Again I'm using Denon 3802.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I watched Superman as well, on a Denon 3801 and I also heard NO cracking of any kind

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Ahh, good old crackle...

The age of the film has nothing to do with the chances of the dvd having crackle. There are lots of recent releases with nicely ear-splitting crackle in them.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
There's definitely a problem here guys, it's just that some people are able to detect it better than others.

So what causes it? Why does it affect some titles (old and new) and not others?

John

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm putting my ear up to the speakers, and I once again, am getting NO CRACKS

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Didn't see that listed under receivers, is it an old model? Wonder if it uses different chips than the x80x series.

Sean Oakley

Auditioning
I took the Superman SE to a local home theatre demo room yesterday and tried the disc on numerous receiver brands including Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, Sony, Denon and Onkyo with identical dialogue crackling results.

And to prove it was not a single disc based problem, the store cracked open their own copy of the movie which exhibited the same problem. Interestingly, I got my hands on a Region 4 copy and it has no problems whatsoever with crackling dialogue but maybe that has something to do
with PAL speedup.

Are the people that are hearing no crackling on their discs playing them at reference level volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks