Inlaying Speaker

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by aaron_d, Oct 26, 2004.

1. aaron_d

aaron_d Agent

Hello all, i am currently making Wayne's Veritas. I made one set of speakers already that i am extremely proud of and they sound great. I was wondering how all of you inlay your speakers? Is there any trick to cutting the holes and then inlaying a larger hole for the speaker to be flush to the front? Thanks for all of your help!

2. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

A router jig solves all those problems!!! "Parts Express Circle Jig" I would even dream of doing it any other way. Especially, if have multiple woofers, like the Alpha LS speakers I am building right now. Keeler Alpha LS

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

AAron, I also recommend the Jasper circle jig. Cut the larger diameter recess "inlet" first, then cut the smaller diamater "through-hole". My trick is to attach your baffle to a scrap board underneath with double-sided carpet tape so that when you make your last pass on the through-hole and cut the inner circle of wood free from the baffle, the carpet tape will hold that circle of wood and your baffle stationary so that your router bit won't veer into the side of the through hole.

4. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

That's a good tip Hank. I have trouble when the cutout piece comes loose from the baffle. If you have a drill press and aren't cutting large holes a circle cutter works pretty good also.

Shawn,
    I went to your website; I hope you have a good dust collection system [​IMG] !! While visiting GR Research to buy my home theater speakers I got to listen to the Alphas. Having a set of those speakers and knowing that you built them yourself will be a great source of pride. Good luck.

5. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

Joey,
    Thanks for the kind words. [​IMG] A dust collection system is no joke! I think the only way to eliminate all the dust, would be to set up a router station in the middle of a football stadium with a 30 mph wind. [​IMG] I am still hearing about it from my wife!!

6. aaron_d

aaron_d Agent

Thanks for all of the help guys! Some of my parts are on back order from partsexpress so it looks like it will not be until the end of November before i am all set. Does anyone know of any other suppliers of transducers, and capacitors?