Inlaws want a big screen tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Bunora, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Peter Bunora

Peter Bunora Auditioning

May 26, 1999
    My inlaws want a big screen tv, but I am having trouble finding one that suits their needs. They don't have a dvd player, hardly watch the vcr. But they have seen the excellent picture I have with my 61HS10 and want one too. But I think that something like my Sony is overkill for them. If anyone could recommend a decent big screen without spending too much on the extra features I would appreciate it.
  2. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Dec 15, 2000
    Suggestion: Get them a DVD player and let them watch it for a couple weeks. Then have them decide if they want a TV to watch DVDs on. [​IMG]
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!
  3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    If you can't make them into dvd converts, and they really don't want to get into the rarefied atmosphere of line-doublers, 480p vs 960i, etc. look for a good quality analog rptv.
    If they're still available, look for an Hitachi 53 or 61 SBX01B. This is a very high quality ntsc-only set with top quality 3D-YC comb filter, 6 element lenses, and magic focus self-convergence system that really works. They aren't cheap, running a bit over $2k for the 53 inch set, but they do a very good job with cable and satellite pictures. These were probably the last true premium quality ntsc-only sets available since the advent of hd-ready models. A lot of their components, specifically lenses and optical filters, are actually of better quality than those found in many of the low to midrange hd-ready sets.
    Other good choices would be the Mitsubishi Gold and Silver series ntsc sets--these also have 3D-YC comb filters. Their optics aren't as good as Hitachis. They don't have self-convergence but do have a 64 point convergence available in the user menu. These start at around $1500 for a 46" Silver series model. Mits ntsc sets generally have good reliability and quite nice pictures.
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.
  4. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Jun 30, 1997
    "My inlaws want a big screen tv, but I am having trouble finding one that suits their needs. They don't have a dvd player, hardly watch the vcr."
    Few questions:
    * What is their budget?
    If it's $1000, don't let them buy ANY RPTV, guide them toward a good 36" tube set. If it's $1500-2000, they can get Top Line Analog RPTV or entry level HD RPTV. Steve makes good analog suggestions, I own a gold Mits. The Sony V90 set is also nice. If $2000+, they can get better HD RPTV.
    * What is intended usage? *Important*
    If cable ONLY, then Analog RPTV. As for DVD, lots of stores throw in a basic one with purchase during certain sales.
    * Are they Tech-Savvy?
    If the answer is "not at all", then they should NOT get an HD RPTV, especially not a 16:9 set. Imagine trying to explain accessing different inputs and toggling stretch modes (depending on the source material) to a person that only knows how to turn on a "regular" tv and changing its channels.
    Rich B.