Inkwell Images' Out of the Inkwell vol 2

Discussion in 'DVD' started by WillardK, Feb 26, 2004.

1. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

Inkwell Images has released a second disc of Fleischer Koko the Clown animations. I hesitate in posting this because Inkwell is a small company doing specialized work that some of us are especially appreciative of... but, they made an unfortunate decision with this release.

For economic reasons, as it was explained to me, they used Verbatim dvd-r's! My player had problems with the disc and it is being replaced by Inkwell with one from a second, supposedly improved batch.

Ultimately, I'm happy to have this material if I can get it on an error-free disc, but I do wonder about this business practice. Is it acceptable, even from a small company, to sell dvd-r's without explicitly labeling them as such at a relatively high price (though average for an art-house or specialized dvd)?

2. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

For a very small company it's DVD-Rs or nothing. A nitche product like this isn't going to have the numbers to justify paying the $250 or so to have a glass stamping master made, nor ordering the minimum replication number, which is usually 500 or 1000. As much as I'd like to think that there are that many Fleischer fans out there who'd want to order DVDs like this, I doubt there are.