Ink Stain on Leather Sofa ?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alex S, May 14, 2003.

1. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

What's the best way to get it out ?

2. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if it will work on leather, but Amodex is the most frequently recommended solution for spills of fountain pen ink. You can find it at Fountain Pen Hospital under "repair & tools".

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I've used hairspray to get ink out of white shirts when I leaft a pen in the dryer. DOH!

Spray liberally and then hold a papertowel over it to soak it up. I ended up using a toothbrush after I got out the real thick stuff.

I'm not so sure it'll work on leather, but it has worked on linoleum... Test a small hidden spot first with a pen and hairspray to make sure it does not just make a bigger stain.

4. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson Stunt Coordinator

I can personally vouch for hairspray getting ink out of leather.

Who in their right mind buys white leather furniture? Someone whose children are grown and moved away. But wait! What happens when such a child returns home, bringing two toddlers with her? Well, one thing that happens is that we get the opportunity to learn how to get ink stains off of the leather furniture.

Note: We used Final Net hairspray. I don't think the brand matters much, but the person who shared this tip with me said that aerosol sprays work much better than pump dispensed sprays for this application.

Once the grandmonsters leave next month we'll get the chance to learn which methods of removing scratches from DVDs work the best...

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in whatever company makes Final Net.

5. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Thanks Eric and Kevin.
    I had heard that hairspray removed ink but wasn't sure about it on leather.

Kevin,

How did you apply it and what did you use to get the stain out (rag, sponge, toothbrush...) ?

6. Kevin Thompson

We liberally sprayed the hairspray directly on the stained area, waited 15-30 seconds, and blotted the first of the inky liquid with a couple of paper towels. Then we sprayed again, waited a bit, and scrubbed with a white cotton towel. It took a bit of work, but it did the trick.

Be sure to remove the residue, as it will have a slightly sticky feel. We just used a clean white cloth moistened with water to rub the area down.

Good luck!

7. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Thanks Kevin.

Did it take any of the color off the sofa ?
    I know yours is white but mine is a medium brown.

8. Kevin Thompson

Alex, our furniture is actually just slightly off-white, more "eggshell" than "cream", but we did not notice any discoloration. However, as they say, you might want to test it in an inconspicuous spot first.

Good luck!