What's new

Initial thoughts on SOCOM demo (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
Well, much to my surprise, a SOCOM demo was lying on my kitchen table today. And to think, I sat talking to my wife for about 45mins before I even noticed it there!!

After popping it in, wasnt much to be impressed with. SOCOM logo and a Play Game or Options. Options allowed you to mess with the controls, adjusting accuracy, acceleration and dead zone etc. There was also a toggle for 480p (no component hookup for my ps2 so I couldnt test) After adjusting the brightness, sound, and some minor settings, I jumped right in.

You are greeted with a small intro, then a breifing screen. This screen displays a overview, objectives, map, and equipement. Equipment is where you can outfit you and your squadmates with various weapons and stuff like nades etc. A few sniper rifles, machine guns and handguns were all that were available [in the demo[, in addition to multiple explosive devices.

Once that was done, i Started the mission. A brief overview of the area is given to you with a womans voice explaining a few details. You then can hit select to see a nice map with all details and objectives pointed out very clearly with arrows etc. (this is available throughout the mission, checking off objectives as you complete them)

Took me a little while to get comfortable and used to the controls, but once I did I was very pleased. One of my biggest fears was how the accuracy was going to be using the Dual Shock 2 controller etc. I was able to get a few headshots no problem and random run and gun style shootouts werent to bad either. The sniping mode is interesting in that as soon as you zoom in, you have a heartbeat and the aimer is a bit unsteady, but a few seconds pass and your character relaxes and the aimer is 100% accurate. (A nice touch i think)

I didnt have too much play with the AI. I basically just let them follow me most of the time and they took out the occasional baddie (saving my ass more than a few times too) There are many options that you can use when ordering the squad, most of which I didnt use. I guess it will just take a bit of getting used to having other players on your team to take out guys for you. (For some reason it just didnt feel right unless I took out each and every baddie on the level. Call me greedy =] )

One last thing, for those CSers (well, those that are looking for a typical "guns -a- blazing deathmatch 'Die all you camping bastards!'" type of game), this game isnt for you. Its all about stealth and camping (well maybe not camping, but pausing for moments to pick off targets from afar). As far as stealth goes, Im not sure if you can shoot out lights etc, but I think I recall reading that somewhere that you will be able too, creating nice dark hiding spots for you etc.

After playing the demo, all I can say is I want more!! I cant wait for this Wednesday when I can get online and start fragging some of you HTFers!!!

(sorry for the long ramble!)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
:emoji_thumbsup:
Sounds good. If SOCOM is really good I might try and go online with my PS2 afterall when Tribes comes out(I'm kind of on the fence about the whole online thing).
On a sidenote, not only have I gotten mail from Sony advertising SOCOM, but I've gotten mail from the Navy trying to recruit me to be a seal(I was suprised it specified Seals and not just navy in general). People who know me understand why that is so funny ;)

GaryP

Second Unit
Jason,
That is great news man. I was starting to get a little nervous since there haven't been any reviews yet, which more times than not, is a bad thing. Should be some good times in the next coming weeks :emoji_thumbsup:
Gary

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
Morgan: I signed up for that stupid Gamespy E-Seal thing (a link was found on the SOCOM official homepage)
Its basically a ploy to get you to spread the word about socom (and e-seal members are rewarded for the amount of spam they send basically)
I didnt do anything as part of the e-seal program, but I think I spread the word enough about this game etc (im probably 40% responsible for the hype-machine surrounding this game)
But, the reason I signed up was specifically to get the FREE DEMO that they were promising. Like 2 days after I signed up they sent an email out saying that they ran outta demos (so I was like, darn, ohh well. I just have to wait another week big deal). Much to my surprise the demo arrived anyway! (I must have gotten lucky)
I also know that if you preorder at Best Buy, the preorder box that you "purchase" includes a demo.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The new EGM mag has a review in it. Havent read through the text yet, but its scores were 9.5, 9.0, 9.5. Not too bad. Not bad, but not as high as Mario(BOOYA!) or the new Castlevania, which had 9.5, 9.5, 10!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Sorry for the newb question, but will SOCOM support play with a USB mouse and keyboard?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Chris:

No, they want people to all have an equal advantage when playing it online, so now K/M combo will work.

Users who are viewing this thread